Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is their largest common factor. What is the value of a and b?

(1) The lowest number that has both integers a and b as its factors is the product of one of the integers and the greatest common divisor of the two integers.

(2) The smaller integer is divisible by 4 numbers and has the smallest odd prime number as its factor.

OA: E

P.S: It took me more than 3.5 mins to solve. Would much appreciate any faster and smarter solution from Experts.Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 12, 2015 5:37 am
Question stem: What is THE VALUE of a and b?

The question stem is poorly worded.
It seems to imply that a and b have the same value, even though statement 2 indicates that one of the values is smaller than the other.
If the question stem is asking for both the value of a and the value of b, then it does not seem representative of an actual GMAT DS.
Generally, official DS problems do not ask for the values of two variables.
If this problem were to appear on the GMAT, it would most likely ask for the SUM of a and b.
I would ignore this problem.
What is the source?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 am
Mitch - You're correct.It's not an official question, so I presume it should be from any prep companies!

Per the OA, it appears that a & b are considered to be different.