Trends towards younger candidates

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Trends towards younger candidates

by g00gler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:26 pm
I find the fact that both Stanford and Harvard recruit younger candidates very offputting. You learn from your classmates, and no offense to anyone with two-three years of work experience, but I just don't see how I can learn from people who are this young. GSB otherwise sounds perfect, but my work experience of 6 years puts me in the older part of the class, which is just plainly strange. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the subject?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TheCEOGame » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 am
From the years 2006-2009, 439 of 937 students in HBS were three years out of college or less -- that's less than half! That means that more than half of your peers will have more years of experience. The reason Harvard takes younger students that some B schools, I believe, is that it recognizes outstanding potential of certain individuals and wants to harness it. What some of your peers will lack in length of formal work experience, they will make up for somewhere else -- some worked extensively on political campaigns, organized national non-profits, etc. I definitely wouldn't let this make you nervous!

-------------------
Ailon
The CEO Game
Serious Business Game
www.theceogame.com