Tough Old GMAT passage

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Tue May 10, 2011 6:19 pm
yeah, this one is pretty long. here is a super-quick rundown, but it looks like others have already gotten it down pat.

1. (d) - the passage describes two models of metropolitan growth (concentric and hoyt's) and then says that neither model is effective for describing urban growth today

2. (b) - the passage states specifically that law firms are an example of a retailer of "infrequently and irregularly purchased goods"

3. (b) is a list -- all you have to do is check the passage if you got this one incorrect

4. (e) - hoyt says (in the passage) "custom and social pressures tend to perpetuate locational patterns"

5. (a) - last paragraph says "neither model fully accounts for..." which basically means that the two models do not adequately represent today's urban centers

6. (c) - last paragraph talks about how we've recently seen business centers that are not the CBD become more important

7. (e) - a rural setting is not urban growth

8. (d) - the last paragraph says both the concentric model and hoyt's model are good, but not good enough -- thus, we need a third model

for what it's worth, the set took me 5:30 and i got 8/8 correct, but you should not read too much into that.

by redmark » Wed May 18, 2011 5:04 pm
Hmm this was sorta tough... 7/8

It took me 14:30....A bit long.

I spent too much time on Q6 and Q7.

I got Q7 wrong but it was 50/50 for me between B and E.

Followed by:4 members

by archimittal » Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 pm
I completed the passage in around 12 minutes and got 6 questions correct. I,however, don't think that having a lot of questions in a passage is helpful because when you a lot of questions, you have to read the details minutely and you tend to slow down.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 am
6/8 n took 13:57 seconds...

GMAT Score:680

by DhruvXVII » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:15 am
Took 15 minutes.

7/8 correct.

Nice passage.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 am
Took more than 15 minutes for sure . got 7/8 right
got Question 7 wrong
Q -7 silly mistake as Q ask for urnab pattern focussing away from old city CBD
and only option E states about rural setting hence E is correct

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:12 pm
I got 5/8 with approx. 14 minutes
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by asax » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:37 am
Got 6/8

I missed 2nd and 5th question. was caught between two answerchoices :(

Thus, retailers of infrequently and irregularly purchased goods, such as fur coats, jewelry, and antique furniture, and specialized service outlets, such as theaters, advertising agencies, law firms, and government agencies, will generally be found in the CBD

Doesn't it mean -
infrequently and irregularly purchased goods - fur coats, jewlry & antique furniture

Specialized service outlets - theaters, advt agencies, law firms?

So, How can B, be right?

5. was caught between A and E
(E) fail to explain the rapid outward growth of cities that has occurred in recent years

chose e. Now i realize, its not about rapid "outward" Growth Bohoo :(

Could anybody please clarify my doubt in the Second q! :)
Looking forward to 2013 MBA admissions!

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 pm
2. The unicellular model's (CBD) purpose is to have all the infrequently and irregularly purchased goods and specialized service outletsat one place for ease. So as per the inference B suits here. Becoz law firms demand is irregular so it is difficult to have many firms outside CBD as like the grocery market

5. Also, E is too harsh "fails" which is not the case
asax wrote:Got 6/8

I missed 2nd and 5th question. was caught between two answerchoices :(

Thus, retailers of infrequently and irregularly purchased goods, such as fur coats, jewelry, and antique furniture, and specialized service outlets, such as theaters, advertising agencies, law firms, and government agencies, will generally be found in the CBD

Doesn't it mean -
infrequently and irregularly purchased goods - fur coats, jewlry & antique furniture

Specialized service outlets - theaters, advt agencies, law firms?

So, How can B, be right?

5. was caught between A and E
(E) fail to explain the rapid outward growth of cities that has occurred in recent years

chose e. Now i realize, its not about rapid "outward" Growth Bohoo :(

Could anybody please clarify my doubt in the Second q! :)
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

by jaiswalamrita » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:15 am
5/8

16 mins :(

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:720

by jainpiyushjain » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 am
According to Manhattan strategy guide, one should spend between 3.5 to 4 minutes on a long reading passage (More than 35 lines) followed by 60 to 90 seconds on each question. Seeing the no. of questions and the passage mentioned, individuals should try and complete all the question in 14 minutes.

I personally took just little above 14 minutes and only got the 7th question wrong (careless) .

This passage really tests your focus and concentration :shock:. Thanks for posting.

Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by ktlee1981 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am
I managed 8/8 in 7 minutes.

Others have given their views on the answers, but just for completeness I'll post my own analysis of the answers:

1. Primary Purpose: This one is definitely D. We have two models mentioned, the concentric-ring model (paragraph 2) and the sector model (paragraph 3). It is not purely focused on residential (hence not C). It is also more descriptive of the existing models and some of their limitations rather than focused on the inadequacy of the existing models (which is only described in paragraph 4.

2. Inference: This one is definitely B. Recall the passage mentions "infrequently and irregularly purchased goods...and specialized service outlets."

3. This question should be relatively simple, just look in paragraph 2. B

4. This question should again be relatively simple, look at the description in paragraph 3: "custom and social pressures tend to perpetuate locational patterns within the city." E

5. This question is asking you to draw an inference from paragraph 3, particularly: "neither model fully accounts for the increasing importance of focal points other than the traditional CBD". A

6. An updated model of urban geography needs to account for "secondary nuclei centered on suburban business districts" and "particular kinds of goods, services, and manufacturing facilities have clustered in specialized centers away from the CBD, encouraging the development of particular housing patterns in the adjacent areas". This is a strong indication that C is the right answer.

7. E is consistent with the existing concentric-ring and sector models rather than the new trend.

8. D. The last paragraph notes the inadequacies of the two existing models (though noting that the sector model is more sophisticated) and calls for "a new multicellular model of metropolitan geography is needed".

Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by ktlee1981 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am
I managed 8/8 in 7 minutes.

Others have given their views on the answers, but just for completeness I'll post my own analysis of the answers:

1. Primary Purpose: This one is definitely D. We have two models mentioned, the concentric-ring model (paragraph 2) and the sector model (paragraph 3). It is not purely focused on residential (hence not C). It is also more descriptive of the existing models and some of their limitations rather than focused on the inadequacy of the existing models (which is only described in paragraph 4.

2. Inference: This one is definitely B. Recall the passage mentions "infrequently and irregularly purchased goods...and specialized service outlets."

3. This question should be relatively simple, just look in paragraph 2. B

4. This question should again be relatively simple, look at the description in paragraph 3: "custom and social pressures tend to perpetuate locational patterns within the city." E

5. This question is asking you to draw an inference from paragraph 3, particularly: "neither model fully accounts for the increasing importance of focal points other than the traditional CBD". A

6. An updated model of urban geography needs to account for "secondary nuclei centered on suburban business districts" and "particular kinds of goods, services, and manufacturing facilities have clustered in specialized centers away from the CBD, encouraging the development of particular housing patterns in the adjacent areas". This is a strong indication that C is the right answer.

7. E is consistent with the existing concentric-ring and sector models rather than the new trend.

8. D. The last paragraph notes the inadequacies of the two existing models (though noting that the sector model is more sophisticated) and calls for "a new multicellular model of metropolitan geography is needed".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmatrant » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:14 am
Does GMAT give this long passages?
A kudos or thanks would do great if my answer has helped you :)

by Win_the_gmat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm
Took a lot of time and scored 5/8.