Tough OG - CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 am
Mo2men wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:I wouldn't expend any more energy dissecting the answer choices on this one. The good folks at GMAC have conceded that there are two viable answers to this question, and so are removing it from future editions of the GMATPrep software.
Dear David,

I truly want to thank you for your response and keen follow up with GMAC.

When I approached this question, I always felt the sentence 'Dramas always receive more submissions' has something to do with answer choices but could not prove as it is really tough question.
I should thank you for posting the question - I completely missed the error my first time through. It's fun to catch one, as they happen very very rarely with official material. As a general rule, if you think you've found a mistake in an official question, you've likely overlooked something.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 am
If anyone is curious, here's my exchange with GMAC. (Especially interesting to note is the way their psychometricians evaluate the questions. Fun stuff.)

My email:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a GMAT instructor, and I recently received a question from a student regarding the following problem from one of the GMATPrep exams:

To be considered for inclusion in the Barbizon Film Festival, a film must belong either to the category of drama or of comedy. Dramas always receive more submissions but have a lower acceptance rate than comedy. All of the films are either foreign or domestic. This year, the overall acceptance rate for domestic films was significantly higher than that for foreign films. Within each category, drama and comedy, however, the acceptance rate for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

From the cited facts it can be properly concluded that

(A) significantly fewer foreign films than domestic films were accepted.
(B) a higher proportion of the foreign than of the domestic films submitted were submitted as dramas.
(C) the rate of acceptance of foreign films submitted was the same for drama as it was for comedies.
(D) the majority of the domestic films submitted were submitted as comedies.
(E) the majority of the foreign films submitted were submitted as dramas.

The correct answer, B, is obviously true, and A, C, and D, clearly need not be the case. But the more I dwell on E, the more convinced I am that this is also true.

Here's my reasoning: if E is, in fact, wrong, then it need not be the case that a majority of the foreign films were submitted as dramas. If there aren't a majority submitted as dramas, then, at most, 50% of the foreign films were submitted in this category. Because we know that a higher proportion of the foreign films than of the domestic films were submitted as dramas (the correct answer), we know that if exactly 50% of the foreign films were submitted as dramas, then less than 50% of the domestic films were submitted as dramas. But if 50% of the foreign films were submitted as dramas and less than 50% of the domestic films were submitted as dramas, then dramas, overall, would have received fewer submissions than comedies. This violates the argument's premise that "Dramas always receive more submissions." Thus, if E is not true, we'd have to violate one of the premises of the argument, and so, logically, E must be true. Am I missing something here?

Sincerely,
Dave

And their thoughtful response:

Hello David,

Upon a careful review of the question by our question writers, we agree with you: both B and E are viable responses and the question is confusing. We are in the process of making upgrades to the GMATPrep software and we will remove it from the new version.

To provide you with a bit more background: as you probably know, we conduct analyses for all questions that appear on the test, and the analysis for this question showed that it was performing as expected - with high ability candidates either selecting answer choice B to get it right or selecting answer choices other than E in getting the question wrong. Answer choice E was actually the least selected amongst all options. Based on the results of the analysis, it was included on the GMAT exam and, subsequently, in GMATPrep.

As a result of your query, we will remove it from GMATPrep when the new version launches. Thank you for raising this issue.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gui_guimaraes » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:As David mentions below, the CR as written has two viable answer choices. For only the OA to be correct, the red phrase below should be omitted. My posts that follow depend on the omission of this red phrase:
Mo2men wrote:To be considered for inclusion in the Barbizon Film Festival, a film must belong either to the category of drama or of comedy. Dramas always receive more submissions but have a lower acceptance rate than comedy. All of the films are either foreign or domestic. This year, the overall acceptance rate for domestic films was significantly higher than that for foreign films. Within each category, drama and comedy, however, the acceptance rate for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

From the cited facts it can be properly concluded that

(A) significantly fewer foreign films than domestic films were accepted.
(B) a higher proportion of the foreign than of the domestic films submitted were submitted as dramas.
(C) the rate of acceptance of foreign films submitted was the same for drama as it was for comedies.
(D) the majority of the domestic films submitted were submitted as comedies.
(E) the majority of the foreign films submitted were submitted as dramas.
Dramas have a lower acceptance rate than comedy.
The overall acceptance rate for domestic films was significantly higher than that for foreign films.

Given these constraints, try to DISPROVE the answer choices.

Case 1: 20% of domestic films are accepted, 10% of foreign films are accepted
In this case:
Option A does not have to be true, since Case 1 is possible even if there are more foreign films than domestic films.
D does not have to be not true, since the low acceptance rate for domestic films implies that most of the domestic films were dramas.
Eliminate A and D.

Case 2: 90% of domestic films are accepted, 80% of foreign films are accepted
In this case:
E does not have to be not true, since the high acceptance rate for foreign films implies that most of the foreign films were comedies.
Eliminate E.

Since C contradicts the constraint that dramas always...have a lower acceptance rate than comedies, eliminate C.

The correct answer is B.
Hi Mitch!

I didn't understand the last sentence of the stimulus: ..."Within each category, drama and comedy, however, the acceptance rate for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films." It seems to contradict what have been said before about the acceptance rate being lower for drama than for comedy, as well as being higher for domestic than for foreign. Can you help? Many tks!!!