Top Tier JD/MBA Chances

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Top Tier JD/MBA Chances

by Travis-Mcelmurry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 pm
Hello,

I plan to apply to a top tier JD/MBA program this fall, round 1. My ideal target business schools (and the corresponding law schools) are Duke, UVA, Michigan Ann Arbor, Northwestern, Washington University (St. Louis), Wharton and Vanderbilt.

I have selected a wide range partially for my fit with selected aspects of each program business or law and to improve my odds. Here are the stats for my Profile:

LSAT 167 (Sep 2014)
GMAT 710 (Aug 2015) Q43 V44

When I was studying for the GMAT a year ago I consistently achieved a 48/49 on the GMAC practice software. I stepped away from the GMAT to do the LSAT and complete my Bachelors Degree. I have never gotten quite back to the high levels I was but the quant is still well below my averages. I am not sure if the low quant will be an issue with my recent quant classes.

Bachelors from Pepperdine: GPA 3.5 cumulative (slightly above) Cum Laude and Deans Honor Roll
Have 2 statistics courses (Community college and Pepperdine) with A's in the past two years. Plus additional other quant courses.

During my time at Pepperdine I founded a student club that is now officially listed on school resources, continued volunteer work at a local animal shelter from before college enrollment, studied for and took administrations of the GMAT and LSAT, and worked a high stress job requiring about 60 hours per week during the first half of my college career.
I struggled to balance responsibilities while first returning to college. After I re-evaluated and set priorities I was able to achieve high academic results (never lower than a B+). This is the reason for switching employers, in addition to personal family health issues.

Relevant Work Experience:

Store Manager at CVS/Pharmacy and Party City
Led large teams consistently delivering annual revenue growth even during the recession
At both companies promoted to store manager (promoted 6 times in 8 years)
I have many experiences I can use to highlight leadership and team development

Based on this information is there any feedback you can provide. I am ideally looking for guidance on JD and MBA factors. Also specifically, is the low quant going to hurt my chances.

Thank You,

Travis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:24 pm
the quant score is slightly lower than ideal for sure, but it does look like you have taken some recent steps to bolster your quant profile (I think) which may help. Your success in the admissions process may be down to your story "why MBA, why now, why school, and what are your goals." A well developed story, that illustrates strong leadership from your experiences as a store manager should help your candidacy. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/