Posted:
2109 messages
Followed by:
77 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

Top Schools Acceptances?

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm
As candidates begin to hear back from schools (I know HBS R1 decisions are out)... I was hoping to hear some success stories. Then I realized something... Most people frequented this forum during their GMAT studying process and shortly thereafter. Once applications are out, there really isn't a need for them to come back. It's definitely appreciated when they do though. I wonder if there's a way to keep these candidates engaged as they begin hearing back from schools.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

money9111 Legendary Member
Posted:
2109 messages
Followed by:
77 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Top Reply
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:01 pm
Wow yes definitely congratulations!

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
togrey12 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
14 messages
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Top Reply
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm
dmateer25 wrote:
togrey12 wrote:
Haven't been back much since completing my GMAT earlier this year, but here is the story:

690 GMAT
2.5 yrs consulting work exp
3.9 GPA
Accepted R1 to Kellogg > withdrew apps from Darden and Kelley
Congrats on the admit!! Care to share your application experience?
Sure.

I'll begin with the GMAT. Perhaps one of the best decisions I made throughout the entire process was sitting for the GMAT in May 2009. Taking the test early in the year accomplished two things: 1) gave me the opportunity to re-take if I didn't reach my target score and 2) allowed plenty of time to scuplt my story and draft essays. Although I didn't reach my target GMAT score of 700, I decided not to re-take the test - I was burned out and felt that the extra time would be better spent on my application.

I visited each target school before submitting my application, paying special attention to the official open houses. During each of the visits, I made it a point to establish a relationship with one student or member of the admissions committee that I could contact for questions and feedback. This was invaluable. I would also like to recommend that each applicant take a closer look at both Darden and Kelley. Kellogg served as the best fit for me, but I was more than impressed with UVA's and IU's admissions committees/students.

Interviews are tricky. Despite each schools themes and guidelines, each interviewer is on the lookout for different characteristics. Some great advice I received: "Mirror their demeanor - do not try to make the situation more or less formal." I did my best to show that I was not only intelligent, but also personable. These interviewers are constantly asking themselves, "How would I like being stuck on a team with this guy/girl?"

Receiving early notification from Kellogg made the waiting game easier, but stay confident and maintain interactions with your contacts at each schools - don't let them forget about you!

My profile is not the most impressive nor unique, but I differentiated myself through the essays and established a personal connection with current students, faculty, and admissions committee members. Play to your strengths. Best of luck to each of you.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

money9111 Legendary Member
Posted:
2109 messages
Followed by:
77 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:01 pm
Wow yes definitely congratulations!

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
togrey12 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
14 messages
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm
dmateer25 wrote:
togrey12 wrote:
Haven't been back much since completing my GMAT earlier this year, but here is the story:

690 GMAT
3.9 GPA
Sure.

I'll begin with the GMAT. Perhaps one of the best decisions I made throughout the entire process was sitting for the GMAT in May 2009. Taking the test early in the year accomplished two things: 1) gave me the opportunity to re-take if I didn't reach my target score and 2) allowed plenty of time to scuplt my story and draft essays. Although I didn't reach my target GMAT score of 700, I decided not to re-take the test - I was burned out and felt that the extra time would be better spent on my application.

I visited each target school before submitting my application, paying special attention to the official open houses. During each of the visits, I made it a point to establish a relationship with one student or member of the admissions committee that I could contact for questions and feedback. This was invaluable. I would also like to recommend that each applicant take a closer look at both Darden and Kelley. Kellogg served as the best fit for me, but I was more than impressed with UVA's and IU's admissions committees/students.

Interviews are tricky. Despite each schools themes and guidelines, each interviewer is on the lookout for different characteristics. Some great advice I received: "Mirror their demeanor - do not try to make the situation more or less formal." I did my best to show that I was not only intelligent, but also personable. These interviewers are constantly asking themselves, "How would I like being stuck on a team with this guy/girl?"

Receiving early notification from Kellogg made the waiting game easier, but stay confident and maintain interactions with your contacts at each schools - don't let them forget about you!

My profile is not the most impressive nor unique, but I differentiated myself through the essays and established a personal connection with current students, faculty, and admissions committee members. Play to your strengths. Best of luck to each of you.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

dmateer25 Community Manager
Posted:
1049 messages
Followed by:
27 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm
togrey12 wrote:

690 GMAT
3.9 GPA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 68 topics
3 swerve 65 topics
4 ardz24 65 topics
5 Roland2rule 64 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

198 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

181 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

134 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

119 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts