Took GMAT but Scored low. Should I take GRE?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I recently took GMAT and scored a poor 530 (Q41 V22). This was my last attempt as I already took the GMAT twice. I want to attend Ross Business School. My undergrad GPA is 3.2 ('06). I have excellent work experience (over 8 years of managerial experience in various roles) and community involvement in which I hosted several fundraisers and managed a non-profit organization. I wanted to get a good GMAT score to compensate for the low GPA score. Unfortunately, I couldn't succeed. I started studying for GMAT last year. My scores on the practice tests were all above 650. In fact, my practice test score prior to the exam was 710. Unfortunately, I couldn't repeat the success on the real test. Either I am not a good test taker or I didn't study the RIGHT METHOD. Actually, I don't know what I did wrong. I really thought that I improved alot on the Verbal Section. I scored around v35/v36 on GMAT Club Tests, which were all new questions. I really don't understand what went wrong on the real test. I really thought that I would score above 650. Anyway, I do not plan to take the test again (In fact, I used up all the resources (GMAT, VERITAS, GMATCLUB, E-GMAT)). However, I understand that it's a challenge to get into Ross as I have a low GMAT score. Ross Business School also accepts GRE scores. My question is whether I should prepare for GRE (hopefully, I will prepare the RIGHT WAY) and take the test in the next couple of months and apply in the 3rd round. I would like to get advice from experts on this forum regarding this approach. Please let me whether this is a possible approach. I do not mind to study hard but I would like to ensure that I study properly. I understand that a low GMAT score raises a red flag. Please advise.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:39 pm
Hi chawlakushi,

You've provided a lot of interesting information in this post, so I'd like to offer some perspective (and ask a couple of questions) so that you can put together a solid plan to move forward.

There's nothing inherently bad/wrong about taking the GMAT multiple times; taking it 3 or 4 times is a bit more than the average, but THAT won't keep you out of Business School. Since you took the GMAT 3 times, I'd like to know more about your scores:

1) What were your AWA, IR and Quant & Verbal Scaled Scores on each of your GMATs?

Your overall GPA is fine; if the GPA for the Business Classes that you took as an undergrad is below a 3.0, then you might run into some problems (in which case a higher GMAT score could "offset" that GPA). As is, this 3.2 GPA will NOT be what keeps you out of Business School.

You've gone about studying for the GMAT in such a way that did not translate into Test Day success. Maybe it was the resources, maybe it was how you used them, or maybe there's just something inherently different about Test Day that you haven't been able to adapt to (yet). Since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, my suspicion is that some significant aspect of how you approached your studies did NOT match up with the FULL-LENGTH GMAT.

2) When you were studying, and you took practice CATs, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) every time?
3) What were your practice CAT scores from this round of studies?

The GRE actually has a lot in common with the GMAT, but there are some significant differences. Rather than get into those differences here, you can do a bit of research/practice and take a FULL-LENGTH practice GRE Test. You can download 2 for free from www.gre.org. That practice score might give you a clue as to whether you should shift to the GRE or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by chawlakushi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:10 am
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your response. Below are my test scores in Detail.

GMAT1: 510; Q35; V27; AWA:5; IR: 3
GMAT 2: 530; Q41; V22; AWA: 5; IR: 3
GMAT 3: 530; Q41; V22; AWA: don't know; IR: 6

While I was studying, I took 2 Entire CATs through GMAT Prep Software. I scored 640 (Q44;V31) and 710 (Q49;V38).

I took several individual practice tests from GMAT Club tests. I was very surprised about my verbal score as I scored around V35/V36/V31. My Quant scores were Q44/Q47/Q49; Even during the test, I may have rushed towards the end but I thought that I was getting hard questions such as long SCs, Long RC passages, etc.

I invested ALOT of time just preparing for GMAT over the past 1 year. I would like to ensure that I prepare appropriately and time efficiently while preparing for GRE. Thank you for your advice on the GRE. I will do some research. Can you suggest the best resources to invest on GRE?

Thanks alot for your advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by niddy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:43 am
chawlakushi wrote: Ross Business School also accepts GRE scores. My question is whether I should prepare for GRE (hopefully, I will prepare the RIGHT WAY) and take the test in the next couple of months and apply in the 3rd round. I would like to get advice from experts on this forum regarding this approach. Please let me whether this is a possible approach. I do not mind to study hard but I would like to ensure that I study properly. I understand that a low GMAT score raises a red flag. Please advise.
Chawlakushi,

I'm not an expert and I started studying just a couple of months ago to the GMAT, so take it into account. I just wanna try to help from my little experience.

In your place, I would not take the GRE for two strong reasons:
1. The GRE is much more about content than the GMAT
2. You have already been studying for the GMAT

Some 3, 4 years ago I thought about taking the GRE (I have a Social Science background, but my career led me to Business)and I remember GRE had much to do with memorization of vocabulary and math concepts. A lot of vocabulary that is not usual to everyday reading and conversation. And take into account that I speak 3 different languages fluently, which helps a lot with vocabulary...

Also, you've already studied for the GMAT. You know the content, you know how it works, you are some steps ahead from the start.

I would advise you to get a fresh start on the GMAT study, forget the way you've been dealing with the questions and learn new techniques. You have a huge advantage here: you already know the whole or at least most content for the test (otherwise, I guess you wouldn't have scored 530).

But you should really take a look at the GRE. Maybe you would find that content easier, I don't know, everyone is different. But don't feel like you are not capable of scoring high on GMAT!!! I think everyone can, it's just a matter of how much you want to pay the "price" to get it!

Hope it helps and cheers you up!
niddy

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:12 am
Hi chawlakushi,

You mentioned the 2 practice CATs that you took before this last Official GMAT. Since you've taken the GMAT 3 times, did you take these 2 practice CATs repeatedly (meaning did you take them before each of your GMATs?).

When it comes to assessing your abilities, the only truly valid method is through the completion of FULL-LENGTH practice CATs (taken under Test-like conditions). Doing practice problems and completing quizzes are good to build up your skills, but they won't show you what type of Test Taker you really are.

Assuming that you're going to continue studying for the GMAT, then you're going to need to invest in some new resources (including new CATs that you have not taken before).

Rihc

by deepeshb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:44 am
Hi Chawlakushi,

It's good you brought up this question. My scores are similar to yours and I was contemplating too whether I should drop Gmat and take up GRE. I have appeared twice for GMAT over the last two years. I tried the GRE practice tests and can vouch that the math is easier since we are already preparing for gmat. The first time I score a 314 Q:164 V:150 second was tougher got lower than this. This score is preparing only for the gmat.

My question to the experts: is it good to stick to the gmat and show an improvement on various attempts.

I score a 480 in 2012 and a 520 in 2014. Am wondering about the 3rd attempt as Chawlakushi is.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 pm
Hi deepeshb,

Since Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, you should be comfortable with the idea that it's okay to retest. Obviously, if your first GMAT score isn't particularly high, then you want to score higher, but there's more to it than just improving your score.

When you apply to Business School, part of the task is "self promotion" (some Admissions Experts refer to this as "developing YOUR brand") - it's the idea that you're really trying to "spin" all of your details into "positives." Many applicants might consider taking the GMAT again to be a negative, but you CAN spin it into a positive. For example, it says something about your character that you don't back down from a challenge. You have the will to succeed and you learn from your mistakes. When you decide that something is important, you don't back down, you keep fighting, you stick with it. Etc. So part of this process is about how you present the results.

Rich

by ImjBee » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:10 pm
Take the GRE after checking out this collection
https://sellfy.com/p/Yrpo/

Extensive Collection of Books,Videos,Notes,Vocabulary and practice tests to prepare anyone for the GRE! Books by NOVA,Princeton Review,Kaplan,Magoosh,Manhattan Prep, ETS,Barron's,Gruber's,AWA. Must have for anyone planning to take the GRE and wants to be well prepared & well informed. Studying has never been so easy!

by mrinal.p » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:16 pm
As someone who has already taken the GRE and who is now preparing for the GMAT, allow me to contribute my two bits here. I have a 332 on the GRE btw (Q-170, V-162), which is a good score by most standards.

Now that I'm preparing for the GMAT, here are the differences I have noticed between the two tests:

The GRE verbal is very different from GMAT Verbal. There's no grammar on the GRE, there's vocab on the GRE, and even the GRE RC passages and question types and not very GMAT like. The bad thing is that you will have to do a lot of your verbal prep all over again. The good thing is that just because you have done poorly on GMAT verbal does not mean you will do poorly on GRE verbal as well because it has totally different questions.

Talking about Quant, the GRE quant is way way easier than the GMAT quant. While the question types are a little different, it really is quite simple. I see that you quant score is very low. You may then want to take the GRE as I'm sure you will be able to do better in quant on the GRE.

The bottomline is that for business schools it's best if you take the GMAT (precisely why I'm now studying for the GMAT). However, if for some reason the GMAT is not happening for you (as it apparently isn't), then you should definitely look at the GRE.

The best way to find out is to take a GRE practice test and see how you perform on it.

If you have any GRE specific queries, feel free to ask.

by erumsayyar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:32 am
I have the same question too lol. I took the GMAT once and I wasn't able to score well on it. What are the major differences between GRE and GMAT? Moreover, with a GMAT background will it be easy for me to manage the GRE? Plus how much time is sufficient to prepare for the GRE?

I would be grateful if anyone replies to my post.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:41 pm
Hi erumsayyar,

From a functional standpoint, the GRE has shorter Quant and Verbal sections (but more of them) with fewer questions in each section (but with less time per question overall). You would likely find the Quant sections of the GRE to be easier than the Quant section of the GMAT (although you will have to train for a question type called Quantitative Comparisons, since the GRE does not have DS questions). The Verbal section places a much greater emphasis on vocabulary (the definitions of works and the proper situations in which to use certain words), but does include a bit of work that mirrors GMAT CR/RC.

If you'd like to take a practice GRE Test (they're called MSTs - Multi-State Tests), then you can download two for free from www.gre.org. Before you change your focus from the GMAT to the GRE, you should make sure that the Schools/Programs that you're interested in would accept the GRE as part of the application.

GMAT (and GRE) assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich