Tony: I play the Big Bucks lottery. Every week, five winning

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Tony: I play the Big Bucks lottery. Every week, five winning numbers are drawn, and all the players who have picked those numbers share the jackpot. It's best to play only after there have been a few weeks with no winners, because the jackpot increases each week that there is no winner.

Baggs: No, you're more likely to win the lottery when the jackpot is small, because that's when the fewest people are playing.

Which one of the following most accurately describes a mistake in the reasoning of one of the two players?

(A) Tony holds that the chances of winning are unaffected by the number of times a person plays.
(B) Baggs holds that the chances of Tony's winning are affected by the number of other people playing.
(C) Tony holds that the chances of anyone's winning are unaffected by the size of the jackpot.
(D) Baggs holds that the chances of Tony's winning in a given week are unaffected by whether anyone has won the week before.
(E) Tony holds that the chances of there being a winner go up if no one has won the lottery for quite a while.

Source: Veritas Prep

[spoiler]OA: B[/spoiler]

by magpie16 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 pm
My Analysis:
(A) Tony never mentioned about number of times a person plays. This statement does not show mistake in Tony's reasoning.

(B) Baggs meant that the chances of tony's winning are affected by the number of other people playing. But this is not flawed reasoning. Of course chance (or probability) of one player's winning is affected by the number of participating players. If there are 100 people playing, chance (or probability) of anyone's winning is 1/100. If there are 1000 people playing, chance (or probability) of anyone's winning is 1/1000. If there are 20000 people playing, chance (or probability) of anyone's winning is 1/20000. Thus the statement does not show mistake in Bagg's reasoning.

(C) Tony never correlated the chances of anyone's winning with the size of the jackpot. This statement does not show mistake in Tony's reasoning.

(D) Baggs never mentioned that the chances of Tony's winning in a given week are unaffected by whether anyone has won the week before. This statement does not show mistake in Bagg's reasoning.

(E) Tony never mentioned that the chances of one's a winning go up if no one has won the lottery for quite a while. He just told that the jackpot increases each week that there is no winner. This statement does not show mistake in Tony's reasoning.

In my view, there is no correct answer. Requesting experts to comment on this.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 pm
magpie16 wrote:Tony: I play the Big Bucks lottery. Every week, five winning numbers are drawn, and all the players who have picked those numbers share the jackpot. It's best to play only after there have been a few weeks with no winners, because the jackpot increases each week that there is no winner.

Baggs: No, you're more likely to win the lottery when the jackpot is small, because that's when the fewest people are playing.

Which one of the following most accurately describes a mistake in the reasoning of one of the two players?

(A) Tony holds that the chances of winning are unaffected by the number of times a person plays.
(B) Baggs holds that the chances of Tony's winning are affected by the number of other people playing.
(C) Tony holds that the chances of anyone's winning are unaffected by the size of the jackpot.
(D) Baggs holds that the chances of Tony's winning in a given week are unaffected by whether anyone has won the week before.
(E) Tony holds that the chances of there being a winner go up if no one has won the lottery for quite a while.

Source: Veritas Prep

[spoiler]OA: B[/spoiler]
Great question. Took me some time to get to B. That too I got thru POE. Thanks ....keep posting more!
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! (Rocky VI)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:26 am
Magpie -

I can see why you would think that B is not correct. Normally, the odds of winning are impacted by the number of people participating. For example, if you are trying to be the person with the highest numbered card drawn from a deck and everyone draws a card at random your odds do in fact depend on the number of people who are playing. If there are 5 people you have odds of 1/5 if 10 people then 1/10.

However, in this case you are not trying to beat the other people, but you are trying to match the five numbers. This is why it does not matter how many people are playing. The way a Lotto works is they draw five numbers and if you match all five you win. You do not play against other people. Now of course if someone else also matches then you have to split the prize as you are "co-winners" but your odds of winning are not impacted.

It does say in the question " Every week, five winning numbers are drawn, and all the players who have picked those numbers share the jackpot." So you are only trying to match, not to beat the others.

That must have been frustrating. I can see how that would not seem correct.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by magpie16 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:00 am
Oops! A small trick knocked me hard! :(
Thank you, David, for the excellent explanation. I admit that I paid little attention to the part "all the players who have picked those numbers share the jackpot" and thus missed the point that the chance is considered here on picking the winning numbers (and not on beating other players)! Shame on me!
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Magpie -

I can see why you would think that B is not correct. Normally, the odds of winning are impacted by the number of people participating. For example, if you are trying to be the person with the highest numbered card drawn from a deck and everyone draws a card at random your odds do in fact depend on the number of people who are playing. If there are 5 people you have odds of 1/5 if 10 people then 1/10.

However, in this case you are not trying to beat the other people, but you are trying to match the five numbers. This is why it does not matter how many people are playing. The way a Lotto works is they draw five numbers and if you match all five you win. You do not play against other people. Now of course if someone else also matches then you have to split the prize as you are "co-winners" but your odds of winning are not impacted.

It does say in the question " Every week, five winning numbers are drawn, and all the players who have picked those numbers share the jackpot." So you are only trying to match, not to beat the others.

That must have been frustrating. I can see how that would not seem correct.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 am
Okay, maybe not "shame on you" but there is a lesson to take from this - no outside knowledge and read carefully without making big assumptions.

The GMAT does try to play on your previous knowledge and get you to think in the wrong direction. Keep the questions coming! Making mistakes is the best way to learn!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by magpie16 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:20 am
Thank you, David. Definitely there is learning from every mistake. The frustrating thing is that in some cases GMAT needs our outside knowledge up to a certain level and in some cases GMAT expects us to behave as an "academic robot".

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pearl_rafter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 pm
David,
A quick question.
In the first argument Tony never mentions anything about the relation between the number of people and winning chances. That is, Tony's simply says that he will play sometime after few weeks. So, he can win large amount.

Baggs argument is flawed because it explicitly assumes that winning chances decrease with the increase in number of people.

So, Isn't the reasoning of Baggs mistaken because he assumes that winning chances decrease with the increase in number of people.

Please correct me if I am not thinking it correctly.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 pm
That is exactly correct. He assumes that the more people playing the lower the chance of winning. You are not wrong in your thinking and that is why the answer is B. The question stem just asks you for a flaw in ONE of the two speaker's reasoning. So it could have been Tony's error or Baggs's error.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Followed by:2 members

by Nick0203 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 am
A) Tony never mentioned about number of times a person plays.
(B) Correct. Baggs holds that the chances of Tony's winning are affected by the number of other people playing.
(C) Tony never correlated the chances of anyone's winning with the size of the jackpot.
(D) Baggs never mentioned that the chances of Tony's winning in a given week are unaffected by whether anyone has won the week before.
(E) Tony never mentioned that the chances of one's a winning go up if no one has won the lottery for quite a while. He just told that the jackpot increases each week that there is no winner.