Three Dings in Round 1 - Need Reassesment

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Three Dings in Round 1 - Need Reassesment

by trips123 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 am
Hi Scottie,

I would really appreciate if you could help me understand where I am going wrong in my application approach. I applied in 5 schools in EA/R1 and have already received 3 dings. Following is a summary of my profile application:

Years of WE: 6
GMAT: 710
Undergrad GPA: 3.71
Grad GPA: 3.91
Major: Undergrad and Grad degrees in Industrial Engineering
Area of Work Experience: Operations Management in Manufacturing Setting
Desired field post MBA: Consulting with focus on Operations/Strategy management
ECs: Medium but focused towards providing education/educational resources to professionals/adults/schoolchildren (for approx. 2 years)

Weakness:
1) Age 3 to 4 years above average
2) Goals do not stand out (could be more compelling)
4) Need more work on how MBA will help achieve goals (tie to specifics strengths/courses/programs of the school)

Strengths:
1) GMAT/Grades above or near average for all schools
2) Multilingual and experience of working in India and USA
4) No direct reports but did well in explaining of professional achievements

I feel that one of the weaknesses in my application is having a very ordinary post MBA goal but I still don't understand what is wrong with that?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Choirdrunk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:45 am
Hey Trips,

It would probably help Scott if you posted your gender, ethnicity and country of origin.

Also, which schools dinged you?

I'm guessing you're a white or Indian male and the schools that dinged you are top 5. *If* that is the case then it's not as telling that your application is confused.

For the top 5 schools your GMAT is average and your GPA is mildly above average. Based on what I am assuming is your demographic, you're likely below average in GMAT and still above average w/r/t GPA. You're also a bit older.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:38 am
After reading the posts, I thought I'd also add my two cents. I don't think there is a problem with your age or with having a "regular" post-graduate career plan. However, it is important to articulate why this is your career choice and how your background will help you succeed. You also need to convincingly convey why you need an MBA at this point in your career (this is often a little more challenging with older candidates who have a track record of success - it is a tough balance, you want to show that you are talented, capable and have succeed, yet, you also need to show that you aren't able to get where you want to go without an MBA!).

Your grades, GMAT, age, ethnicity, goals, etc. are all within the "competitive" range for a top-10 or top-20 school. The reality is that all of these programs are very selective and, while you may be perfectly qualified to do well at one of these schools, you simply need to show more than just the scores & resume to stand out. You need to have essays and LORs that help you make your case and really shine in the eyes of the Adcom. This is where it is more of an art than a science. I would never suggest changing your goals to try to be more "unique" - consulting is a popular career choice for a reason. It may just be that you need to better articulate why you are a person that deserves a spot!

Good luck!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options