There is a widespread belief in the United States and Wester

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi, all

Please throw some lights about my question below. Thanks in advance.

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic."

(A) a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(C) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents
(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had
(E) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parents and grandparents had

The answer is (D). I think (D) is correct(at least for the entire meaning ), but I didn't choose it because of "had". It should be modified to "did" and thus will be a correct answer(my thought).

Experts, Please throw some lights about this comparison or list some few examples. Many thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 am
All of the following are correct and convey the same comparison:
Mary ran faster than John.
Mary ran faster than John ran.
Mary ran faster than John did.

OA: Young people have less of a commitment than their parents or grandparents had.
This sentence is similar to the blue sentence above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MBA Challengers » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 am
toro86717498 wrote:Hi, all

Please throw some lights about my question below. Thanks in advance.

There is a widespread belief in the United States and Western Europe that young people have a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents and that the source of the change lies in the collapse of the "work ethic."

(A) a smaller commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(B) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents
(C) a smaller commitment to work and a career than that of their parents and grandparents
(D) less of a commitment to work and a career than their parents and grandparents had
(E) a lessening of the commitment to work and a career that their parents and grandparents had

The answer is (D). I think (D) is correct(at least for the entire meaning ), but I didn't choose it because of "had". It should be modified to "did" and thus will be a correct answer(my thought).

Experts, Please throw some lights about this comparison or list some few examples. Many thanks.
Hi toro86717498,

A crucial point to remember in Sentence Correction is to choose the "best available option". When you see that there is no conflict in your mind about whether an option is the best of the available, it is the option to be chosen and moved on.
Log on to www.mbachallengers.com for
Easy strategic GMAT prep
For any queries mail us at [email protected]
Follow MBA Challengers on Facebook