Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
selfmade wrote:The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

I picked B. Can someone help with the explaination ?
In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end. Eliminate A.

The intended meaning of the sentence is that global warming is caused by the BURNING of fossil fuels -- not by the fossil fuels themselves (in B and E). Eliminate B and E.

In D, agree on as is not idiomatic. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
Mitch - My question is specific to option B.

Apart from what you've already mentioned above, can you please let me know whether the followings are VALID ERRORs in option B ?

(1) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused -- ungrammatical and awkward construction.

In NOUN + NOUN-modifier structure, the NOUN should be IMMEDIATELY followed by RELATIVE PRONOUN that marks the beginning of RELATIVE PRONOUN-clause MODIFIER. Here, a phenomenon should be IMMEDIATELY followed by THAT.

(2) Wordy, less concise than OA.

Correct me please if wrong!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch - any update on my above questions ?

Request your explanations to clarify these doubts. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:(1) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused -- ungrammatical and awkward construction.

In NOUN + NOUN-modifier structure, the NOUN should be IMMEDIATELY followed by RELATIVE PRONOUN that marks the beginning of RELATIVE PRONOUN-clause MODIFIER. Here, a phenomenon should be IMMEDIATELY followed by THAT.
When that serves to modify a noun, it should be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the modified noun.
B: a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused
Here, it is possible to position that closer to phenomenon -- the modified noun -- as in the OA:
a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused
B can be eliminated for this reason.

In most cases, a that-modifier will immediately follow the modified noun.
But there are exceptions.
SC106 in the OG12:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a TOOL for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone.
Here, the that-modifier in red does not immediately following tool (the modified noun).
(2) Wordy, less concise than OA.
Sure, but there are more compelling reasons to eliminate B, as discussed above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by zoe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: When that serves to modify a noun, it should be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the modified noun.
B: a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused
Here, it is possible to position that closer to phenomenon -- the modified noun -- as in the OA:
a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused
B can be eliminated for this reason.

In most cases, a that-modifier will immediately follow the modified noun.
But there are exceptions.
SC106 in the OG12:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a TOOL for private conversation that could substitute for the telephone.
Here, the that-modifier in red does not immediately following tool (the modified noun).
hi GuruNY,

please help to confirm whether I am correct.
IMO, "that" is not placed closer to tool, because there are two preposition phrases and these two preposition phrase only can be place after tool , so "that" is placed a little far...

thanks in advance
have a nice day
>_~

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
atnt444 wrote:Hi thought I could guess the answer , I would like to understand the resumtive modifier thing . Can you please give some example to explain it ...would really appreciate it . Thanks.
This SC employs not a resumptive modifier but an APPOSITIVE: a phenomenon is IN APPOSITION TO global warming. Two nouns (or noun phrases) are IN APPOSITION when they appear side by side, with one serving to explain or define the other. In the OA, a phenomenon caused by human beings' burning of fuels is an APPOSITIVE helping to explain global warming.

For a discussion of RESUMPTIVE modifiers, check my post here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/wasps-t38234.html
Hi GMATGuruNY,

I like your explanation on the appositive structure. It seems like it is the core of this question. Unfortunately, I ended up with Option A instead of C.

The position of "most scientists agree" confused me. Can you please parse this part? I feel that it is awkward to place " most scientist agree" between "that" and "is" in option C.

It makes sense to me about whom caused the global warming as you mentioned above.

But to me, the position of "most scientist agree" in option C is more troublesome than the shift meaning of " by human beings in burning fossil fuels" in OA.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by siidheart » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

(1) I crossed out C immediately after seeing human beings' burning. That did not make sense to me. I thought it means burning of human beings. Eg. Smiths' house means the house of Smiths. Mark's register means the register of marks.
(2) Then, I also had an issue here with regard to the modifier. Because as far as I know, any clause beginning with , modifies the entire previous clause, I am not sure why which is not important in this sentence.
Can someone help clarify.
Regards,

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by siidheart » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I found the answer to (1) in the previous posts.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:19 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

bubblehead0922 wrote:But to me, the position of "most scientist agree" in option C is more troublesome

Thanks for your time in advance.
The position of most scientists agree is correct.
Study the following examples:

Most scientists agree that global warming is a phenomenon caused by human beings.
Rephrased with global warming as the subject:
Global warming is a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings.

Another example:
Many economists believe that the price of milk is an economic indicator in need of further study.
Rephrased with the price of milk as the subject:
The price of milk is an economic indicator that many economists believe is in need of further study.

One more:
Everyone knows that the play is a masterpiece destined to win many awards.
Rephrased with the play as the subject:
The play is a masterpiece that everyone knows is destined to win many awards.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

siidheart wrote:(2) Then, I also had an issue here with regard to the modifier. Because as far as I know, any clause beginning with , modifies the entire previous clause, I am not sure why which is not important in this sentence.
Can someone help clarify.
Regards,
The portion in red is a vast overstatement.
In some cases, the entire preceding clause will be modified.
In other cases, only the nearest preceding noun will be modified.

C: The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.
The two nouns in blue are APPOSITIVES.
Appositives are two nouns that appear side-by-side, with the second noun serving to explain or define the first.
Here, the conveyed meaning is as follows:
GLOBAL WARMING can be defined as a PHENOMENON.
Appositives are very common on the GMAT.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by zoe » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:11 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:Study the following examples:

Global warming is a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings.

Another example:
The price of milk is an economic indicator that many economists believe is in need of further study.

One more:
The play is a masterpiece that everyone knows is destined to win many awards.
hi GMATGuruNY,
would you please clarify the red verb "is" in three that-clauses?
I am still confused.
IMO, that introduces a clause, which has a pair of subject and verb
scientists agree is a pair of subject and verb
many economists believe is a pair of subject and verb
everyone knows is also a pair of subject and verb.
why there is another verb "is" in each sentence?

genuienly need your help

thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

zoe wrote:hi GMATGuruNY,
would you please clarify the red verb "is" in three that-clauses?
I am still confused.
a phenomenon that is caused by human beings.
Here, the that-clause in green serves to modify a phenomenon.
Question: What KIND of phenomenon?
Answer: A phenomenon THAT IS CAUSED BY HUMAN BEINGS.

Most scientists agree that the statement above is true.
To convey this meaning, we insert most scientists agree between that and is caused:
a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gui_guimaraes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi!

In alternative E as in A, the verb "... agree to be" is right?! It seems to imply a future "situation"...

Many tsk!!!
GMATGuruNY wrote:
selfmade wrote:The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

I picked B. Can someone help with the explaination ?
In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end. Eliminate A.

The intended meaning of the sentence is that global warming is caused by the BURNING of fossil fuels -- not by the fossil fuels themselves (in B and E). Eliminate B and E.

In D, agree on as is not idiomatic. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one issue at a time, and narrow it down to the right choice quickly! To begin, here is the original question with any major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

After taking a quick glance over the options, a few key differences popped out:

1. How to start the modifier: "a phenomenon" vs. "which" (Clarity/Meaning)
2. agree to be / agree that is / agree is / agree on (Idiom/Verbs)
3. What is global warming caused by? (Clarity/Meaning)

Let's start with #1 on our list because it will eliminate 2-3 options in one round. This is a matter of clarity.

First, we need to ask ourselves what exactly the scientists are agreeing on in this sentence. Are they agreeing that global warming is a phenomenon? Or do they agree on what causes it?

It makes more sense for this sentence to say that scientists agree on what causes the phenomenon! The phrase "a phenomenon" is merely giving us more details about the antecedent "global warming," which is fine. So let's see how our options hold up:

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

We can eliminate options D & E because they slightly change the meaning and focus. The phrase should focus on scientists agreeing on what causes global warming, NOT that it's a phenomenon.

Now that we have things narrowed down a bit, let's move on to #2 & #3 on our list: verbs and meaning. We need to make sure that each option is using the correct verb tense (to be caused/is caused) and that it clearly states what scientists believe causes global warming! Let's see how they break down:

This is INCORRECT for two reasons. First, the verb "to be" implies that scientists will agree on this in the future, and not in the present, which is more likely. Second, it states that global warming is caused by "human beings in burning fossil fuels." This literally means that global warming is caused by human beings who are sitting inside burning fossil fuels. Sounds odd, right? That's because it is! Global warming is caused by burning fossil fuels, not by human beings who are somehow swimming around in burning fossil fuels. So let's rule this out for verb tense and meaning problems.

While this option does get things mostly right, it is still INCORRECT. The word "that" is misplaced here. It is meant to be used as a modifier for the word "phenomenon," so it needs to be placed before "most scientists agree" and not after it. It also just sounds awkward. So let's eliminate this one because of word placement issues.

This is CORRECT! Everything is written clearly and concisely. It uses the present tense "is" to convey that scientists currently agree on this, and what they agree on is stated clearly (global warming is caused by the action of humans burning fossil fuels).

There you have it - option C is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.