00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

atnt444 wrote:Hi thought I could guess the answer , I would like to understand the resumtive modifier thing . Can you please give some example to explain it ...would really appreciate it . Thanks.
This SC employs not a resumptive modifier but an APPOSITIVE: a phenomenon is IN APPOSITION TO global warming. Two nouns (or noun phrases) are IN APPOSITION when they appear side by side, with one serving to explain or define the other. In the OA, a phenomenon caused by human beings' burning of fuels is an APPOSITIVE helping to explain global warming.

For a discussion of RESUMPTIVE modifiers, check my post here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/wasps-t38234.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by metallicafan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I don't undestand in C (the OA), how "humans being's burning of fossil fuels" can be correct.
The burning takes place BY the humans beings, but it is not OF the humans beings. The possesive ('s) means OF, not BY, doesn't it?

Please your help. Thank you!

by ArunangsuSahu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:47 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

(C)...OG12 question

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by goldenpath » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end.
lol good explanation Mitch!

Followed by:1 members

by imskpwr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end. Eliminate A.
Isn't it clear from context that "human beings" is not the one who is modified by "in burning fossil fuels"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

imskpwr wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end. Eliminate A.
Isn't it clear from context that "human beings" is not the one who is modified by "in burning fossil fuels"?
X is caused IN VERBing is unidiomatic; the correct idiom is X is caused BY VERBing.
For this reason, IN burning fossil fuels seems to be serving NOT as an adverb modifying caused (the nearest preceding adjective) but as an ADJECTIVE modifying human beings (the nearest preceding noun).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by imskpwr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
X is caused IN VERBing is unidiomatic; the correct idiom is X is caused BY VERBing.
For this reason, IN burning fossil fuels seems to be serving NOT as an adverb modifying caused (the nearest preceding adjective) but as an ADJECTIVE modifying human beings (the nearest preceding noun).
So, X is caused by Human beings by burning fossil fuels........is correct version

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

imskpwr wrote: So, X is caused by Human beings by burning fossil fuels........is correct version
It is awkward and confusing to follow one by-modifier with another.
When you spot an error, don't worry about how to fix it.
Rather, look for an answer choice that avoids the error.
The key to SCs is not to look for what's right but to ELIMINATE what's wrong.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote: So, X is caused by Human beings by burning fossil fuels........is correct version
Since some specific verbs work with some specific prepositions(particles). People call such usage IDIOMATICALLY CORRECT.

So, I had a doubt whether it is preposition(like "by" in this case) that is idiomatically correct with a verb(like "caused" in this case) in a particular scenario.

example:
X is able TO fight TO survive in this world.

for verb "able", preposition "to" is the only correct usage(idiom: "able TO").
so both prepositional "to" are idiomatically fine in such case.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

imskpwr wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Since some specific verbs work with some specific prepositions(particles). People call such usage IDIOMATICALLY CORRECT.

So, I had a doubt whether it is preposition(like "by" in this case) that is idiomatically correct with a verb(like "caused" in this case) in a particular scenario.

example:

The correct idiom is X is caused by Y.

In the SC above, the phenomenon is caused BY THE BURNING OF FOSSIL FUELS; the burning is conducted BY HUMAN BEINGS.
But to follow one by-modifier (by the burning) with another (by human beings) is awkward and confusing.
The OA avoids this awkwardness by converting one of the modifiers into a possessive (human beings'):
A phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.
Here, it is clear that the phenomenon is caused by the burning of fossil fuels and that human beings are responsible for the burning.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by imskpwr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:17 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
imskpwr wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

example:

The correct idiom is X is caused by Y.

In the SC above, the phenomenon is caused BY THE BURNING OF FOSSIL FUELS; the burning is conducted BY HUMAN BEINGS.
But to follow one by-modifier (by the burning) with another (by human beings) is awkward and confusing.
The OA avoids this awkwardness by converting one of the modifiers into a possessive (human beings'):
A phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.
Here, it is clear that the phenomenon is caused by the burning of fossil fuels and that human beings are responsible for the burning.
Human beings cause X by burning fossil fuels...if ACTIVE VERSION is fine then, i think PASSIVE will also be fine.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deepti1206 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

i have a query what is wrong in B, D, E ..in B & E they mean that " caused by fossil fuels that is burned by human beings " and in D they mean that " caused by human being who burn fossil fuels " they are specifying the human beings and fossil fuels ..then what is wrong ..

Followed by:4 members

by rakeshd347 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

deepti1206 wrote:i have a query what is wrong in B, D, E ..in B & E they mean that " caused by fossil fuels that is burned by human beings " and in D they mean that " caused by human being who burn fossil fuels " they are specifying the human beings and fossil fuels ..then what is wrong ..
Hi Deepti,

Here is the sentence:

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,...agree to be is wrong. Moreover, caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels is just awkward.
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,....what does "that" refers to in this sentence. Also the sentence sounds like global warming is caused by fossil fuels itself and not the process of their burning.
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels....this sentence is correct as it is and conveys the meaning.
d) which most scientists agree on as phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,....D is wordy and awkward.
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings...again change in meaning as mentioned in B

D and E are just plain wrong. "Which" only refers to the noun before the

Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:47 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
selfmade wrote:The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

I picked B. Can someone help with the explaination ?
In A, in burning fossil fuels seems to modify human beings, implying that these human beings are coming to a most unfortunate end. Eliminate A.

The intended meaning of the sentence is that global warming is caused by the BURNING of fossil fuels -- not by the fossil fuels themselves (in B and E). Eliminate B and E.

In D, agree on as is not idiomatic. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.
Hi GMATGuruNY!
I eliminated (C) by looking at the possesive noun human beings' .
In Manhattan book, it is written that the possisve nouns are only used if can be replaced with "of prepositional phrase".For example: Tom's car is okay as we mean "car of Tom". However, in the correct answer choice such a replacement is impossible.
By "human beings' burning", I mean burning by human beings not burning of human beings.
Regards,

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:32 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

[email protected] wrote: Hi GMATGuruNY!
I eliminated (C) by looking at the possesive noun human beings' .
In Manhattan book, it is written that the possisve nouns are only used if can be replaced with "of prepositional phrase".
POSSESSIVE + VERBing is an exception to this rule.
Human beings' burning means the burning attributed to human beings.
The burning of human beings implies that human beings themselves are being burned.
The two phrases convey different meanings and are not interchangeable.
Nevertheless, POSSESSIVE + VERBing is a valid construction.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3