The total market value of real estate

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

The total market value of real estate

by NandishSS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:55 am
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city's property tax is based-the assessed value of that real estate-has also declined. Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change
during this period.

The information above most strongly supports which of the following?

A. Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville's revenue during the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville's overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years.
C. Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
D. The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.
E. During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.

OA: D

Source:GMATPrep EP1

Thanks
Nandish

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

altonville

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 am
NandishSS wrote:The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city's property tax is based-the assessed value of that real estate-has also declined. Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change
during this period.

The information above most strongly supports which of the following?

A. Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville's revenue during the past four years.
B. The percentage of Altonville's overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years.
C. Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
D. The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.
E. During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.
The passage indicates that PROPERTY VALUES HAVE DECLINED, while THE PROPERTY TAX RATE HAS REMAINED THE SAME.
Thus, it must be true that there has been A DECREASE IN PROPERTY TAX REVENUE, supporting answer choice D:
The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 am
HI Mitch,

Can you pls elaborate little more, didn't get.

Also POE

Thanks
Nandish

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:22 am
NandishSS wrote:HI Mitch,

Can you pls elaborate little more, didn't get.

Also POE

Thanks
Nandish
Consider the following case:

Passage: The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years.
Four years ago, the total market value was $1000.
Today, the total market value is $100.

Passage: The percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change.
Four years ago, the property tax rate was 10%.
Today, the property tax rate remains 10%.

Implication:
Four years ago, the amount of property tax revenue = 10% of 1000 = $100.
Today, the amount of property tax revenue = 10% of 100 = $10.
The values in blue support the D:
The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years..
In the case above, the total amount decreases from $100 four years ago to $10 today.

The correct answer is D.

An inference is a statement that MUST BE TRUE, given the information in the passage.
The remaining four answer choices refer to information not discussed in the passage and thus do not have to be true.

The passage is constrained to revenue from PROPERTY TAXES.
It provides no information about MOST of Altonville's revenue.
Eliminate A.

It provides no information about OVERALL revenue.
Eliminate B.

It provides no information about proposals from officials or opposition from property owners.
Eliminate C.

It provides no information about OTHER SOURCES of revenue.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3