The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniform

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

C) and a strategy session preceded its first practice

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.

my doubt : i have a little problem with E .when ever we have a participle modifier then it should be followed by a subject that it tends to modify .so "before commencing their first practice" should be followed by a subject .this is not happening in E

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:20 pm
Hi aditya8062,

What is the source of this SC?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 pm
good morning Rich
the source is KAPLAN .kindly comment on my doubt
thanks and regrads

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 am
aditya8062 wrote:The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

A) and, before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

B) and before commencing their first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

D) and, before commencing their first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

E) and, before commencing their first practice, joined in a brief strategy session.

my doubt : i have a little problem with E .when ever we have a participle modifier then it should be followed by a subject that it tends to modify .so "before commencing their first practice" should be followed by a subject .this is not happening in E
In E, it's clear that the agent of commencing is the team (the subject of the entire clause).

That said, I would ignore this SC.
The team is a COLLECTIVE NOUN.
On the GMAT, collective nouns are -- without exception -- treated as SINGULAR.
The GMAT will never use a plural pronoun such as they or their to refer to a collective noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ammseeru » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:46 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
aditya8062 wrote:The team streamed into the locker room, donned their uniforms, and before commencing its first practice, they joined in a brief strategy session.

In E, it's clear that the agent of commencing is the team (the subject of the entire clause).

That said, I would ignore this SC.
The team is a COLLECTIVE NOUN.
On the GMAT, collective nouns are -- without exception -- treated as SINGULAR.
The GMAT will never use a plural pronoun such as they or their to refer to a collective noun.
This question stem is wrong. Members word is missing from stem.

Question is "The team members streamed into the locker room....."