Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

The spectacular disintegration

This topic has 2 expert replies and 13 member replies
Goto page
Next
clock60 GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
Posted:
759 messages
Followed by:
2 members
The spectacular disintegration Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occurred in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force
    oa is A why not E

Thanked by: shantanu290
    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    pesfunk Really wants to Beat The GMAT!
    Posted:
    286 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Test Date:
    19th April 2011
    Target GMAT Score:
    720+
    Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:47 pm
    With manhattan explanation:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-prep-t2-q91-52991.html

clock60 wrote:
    The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force a rethinking of the role of comets in the delivery of organic compounds to the evolving earth.

A. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus may force

B. The spectacular disintegration of a comet last year in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

C. When a comet's spectacular disintegration occurred in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes last year, it provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

D. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, a comet's spectacular disintegration provided new insights into how comets form and thus possibly forcing

E. Last year, in full view of ground- and space-based telescopes, the spectacular disintegration of a comet has provided new insights into how comets form and may thus force
    oa is A why not E

Thanked by: clock60, turbo jet, HSPA , Lasve

GMAT/MBA Expert

Jim@Grockit GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    641 messages
    Followed by:
    43 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:21 pm
    To highlight from that thread, the present perfect in E really dooms it -- you won't have a present perfect taking place last year (though you could have an event last year causing something in the present perfect, as with The Green Bay Packers' training and discipline last year has brought them a Super Bowl Victory this year)

Thanked by: turbo jet, Lasve
    clock60 GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    759 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 am
    hi pesfunk
    thank you for link, i am happy now, honestly try to find the given sentence in BTG but was not satisfied with results

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:29 pm
    PLS, HELP.

what dose "last year" in A, correct choice, modify ?

normally, adverbial modify verb or adjective. These cases are easy.

Dose C have any other error than "may possibly"?

I think gmatprep questions should be studied carefully because gmatprep is only official source of hard question

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 am
    I agree that oa is A. But I need help

in A, "last year" is adverbial and modify what . pls, help.

Normally, I see adverbial modify verb, adjective and other adverb. In A, I do not understand "last year" modify what.

Post Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 pm
    I really need help. pls, explain, "last year" in A modify what. "last year" is noun group, which can be adverbial. But this adverbial modify what. I do not understand. pls, help.

thank you.

gunjan1208 GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    416 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Post Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:11 am
    It modifies "Disintegration of comet"

vishal.pathak Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    176 messages
    Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:01 pm
    clock60 wrote:

oa is A why not E
    I have read that a sentence with verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment. This law will make A,B,C & D as fragments.

PLEASE CORRECT MY UNDERSTANDING

Regards,
    Vishal

amit2k9 GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    461 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:39 am
    Its a clean A here.
    E uses present perfect form with a has usage.This is wrong.

More so my 2 cents on Vishal's query -

Writing into the wee hours - fragment
    Writing into the wee hours,is one of my favorite hobbies. - Complete sentence.
    takeaway - a fragment can be used to express a complete sentence.

Without the usage of a helping verb in 'provided' clause the meaning is clean.

Posted:
    176 messages
    Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:48 pm
    vishal.pathak wrote:
    clock60 wrote:

oa is A why not E
    I have read that a sentence with verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment. This law will make A,B,C & D as fragments.

Regards,
    Vishal
    Experts, Please help

Regards

avik.ch GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    640 messages
    Followed by:
    28 members
    Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm
    Hii vishal,

I am not an expert, but would like to give my views on this.

"verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment" - there are no such written rules. Which book you are referring to ? The usage is dependent on the usage and how the sentence is constructed.

I loved her. - this is not a fragment. "loved" is a simple past tense.
    last year, i travelled to .... - "travelled" is a simple past tense.

Similarly in A,B,C and D - "provided" is a verb and not a noun.

Posted:
    176 messages
    Post Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:18 am
    avik.ch wrote:
    Hii vishal,

"verd-ed or verb-ing and without a helping verb is a fragment" - there are no such written rules. Which book you are referring to ? The usage is dependent on the usage and how the sentence is constructed.

Hi Avik,

I found this law in the following post

http://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=522. It says that

"Note that verb-ing not used with is/are/was/were/am does not act as the verb of the sentence."

Regards,
    Vishal

Thanked by: avik.ch
    Posted:
    176 messages
    Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 am
    vishal.pathak wrote:
    clock60 wrote:

oa is A why not E

Regards,
    Vishal
    Hello e-GMAT one of your laws is in question. Please help

Regards,
    Vishal

avik.ch GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    640 messages
    Followed by:
    28 members
    Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:10 am
    vishal.pathak wrote:
    avik.ch wrote:
    Hii vishal,

Hi Avik,

I found this law in the following post

http://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=522. It says that

"Note that verb-ing not used with is/are/was/were/am does not act as the verb of the sentence."

Regards,
    Vishal
    Thanks for the ing verb reference !! I never noted it as a thumb rule !!
    Thanks !!

Best Conversation Starters

1 lukaswelker 62 topics
    2 mukherjee.tanuj3@... 43 topics
    3 candygal79 28 topics
    4 shibsriz@gmail.com 27 topics
    5 gmattesttaker2 18 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

169 posts