• e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep

The perpetual job hunt

This topic has 0 member replies
CPA2011 Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
27 Jun 2011
Posted:
19 messages

The perpetual job hunt

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 am
Now that I've basically made the decision to apply to B school next summer to start Fall 2013, I'm starting to get a little worried. I'm currently a CPA in a small city, married with a dog. My wife teaches/substitute teaches while she's finishing grad school. I make a solid salary, we save quite a bit of money, have reasonable cars, basically buy anything we want without any real consideration of "can we afford this?"

That being said, it's going to be a HUGE change getting back into "student" life. I'm going to be without income for 2 years, and my wife will likely have a difficult time getting teaching jobs due to the fact that we aren't "locals" at any of the places I'm applying to. Ok, so where I'm going with all of this is: when I graduate, I WILL NEED A JOB ASAP. Along with groups, academics, etc... is B school basically a perpetual 2 year job hunt? If you look at a solid 2nd tier school, say Vanderbilt or Ohio State, the employment stats are about 80%ish employed 3 months after graduation. Were the other 20% actually doing everything they were supposed to, getting A's in classes, networking, etc... and just totally unable to find jobs?? Were they poor students? Are they going on to get PhDs and therefore not even seeking employment?

Sorry if this seems a little bit manic. But man, what a change of lifestyle this is going to be! I'm currently saving as much as I possibly can, but I'm sure that I won't have saved enough to live on for 2 entire years by the time I go to school. Can you get loans above and beyond the cost of tuition to cover living expenses?

So many questions...thanks for any responses! Also, personal stories are welcome!

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 132 topics
2 lheiannie07 69 topics
3 LUANDATO 61 topics
4 Roland2rule 42 topics
5 ardz24 40 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

134 posts
2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

117 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

117 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

109 posts
5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts