the peaks of a mountain range

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:20 am
Hi Kevincanspain , i was able to rons approach based on paralllelism .
I wasnt able to grasp your . Could You please elaborate on the portion in quotes below
E obscures the meaning: it suggests that one might not expect stationary crests and troughs to be formed by rapidly moving air. Nowhere is the original is it suggested that the crests and troughs are what one might not expect to be formed.
Which word conveys the meaning that one might not expect stationary crests and troughs to be formed by rapidly moving air.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat1978 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:52 am
Ron -

I am unable to follow the parallelism concept applied here. Can you please explain how the first sentence is more parallel than the second sentence?

Thanks
lunarpower wrote:
Kajiabeat wrote:the explanation OG gives about E is "Th e subordinate clause in the passive voice following although is awkward and unclear." I cannot understand it well.how this clause become askward and unclear?
well, "awkwardness" is not something that can be studied or quantified formally, so it's not worth going down that road. (in general, the only people who can recognize "awkwardness" are native speakers of a language -- and even then, only a small fraction of native speakers are even decently good at doing so.)

the best way to eliminate (e) is to notice that it is much, much less parallel than (c).
compare:
crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly
stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air

the first of these is much more parallel, so you can eliminate the second.

--

by the way, it's "troughs", not "toughs".

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 am
gmat1978 wrote:Ron -

I am unable to follow the parallelism concept applied here. Can you please explain how the first sentence is more parallel than the second sentence?
... that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly

... clause + although + clause

stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air

non-clause + although + clause
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sophiesaurabh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm
lunarpower wrote:
kevincanspain wrote:A is perfectly clear: it conveys the fact that the crests and troughs remain stationary (motionless) even though the the air that forms them (i.e. the crests and throughs) is moving rapidly. C corrects the verb error.

E obscures the meaning: it suggests that one might not expect stationary crests and troughs to be formed by rapidly moving air. Nowhere is the original is it suggested that the crests and troughs are what one might not expect to be formed.

The following two sentences differ in meaning in much the same way:

It is suprising that the woman chosen to be the next head of the IMF is a European lawyer.
It is surprising that the next head of the IMF will be a female European lawyer.
that's a nice explanation.

i was trying to give the easiest thing to find; this explanation is, of course, much more complete than mine. however, either method may be used to arrive at the correct answer.
Hi Ron,

Option (C) tends to covey that the air that forms crests and troughs is moving rapidly "right now" because of the use of present continuous tense. Isn't that not the intended meaning? should it not be "moves rapidly"?

I know since it is an OG OA, it must be correct, but what is the fault with my logic?

Please explain.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 am
sophiesaurabh wrote:Option (C) tends to covey that the air that forms crests and troughs is moving rapidly "right now" because of the use of present continuous tense. Isn't that not the intended meaning? should it not be "moves rapidly"?

I know since it is an OG OA, it must be correct, but what is the fault with my logic?

Please explain.
the "right now" sense of this tense applies when it is used in the main clause of a sentence.

however, when it is used in a subordinate clause, then its meaning isn't necessarily "right now" anymore -- the meaning is "going on at the same time as the action in the main clause, and viewed as a background / ambient event".
e.g.,
James is always calm, even when everyone else is going crazy.
--> this doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else is going crazy right now; rather, it just means that james still, in general, remains calm when things *do* happen to be that way.
same here.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sophiesaurabh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 am
lunarpower wrote:
sophiesaurabh wrote:Option (C) tends to covey that the air that forms crests and troughs is moving rapidly "right now" because of the use of present continuous tense. Isn't that not the intended meaning? should it not be "moves rapidly"?

Please explain.
the "right now" sense of this tense applies when it is used in the main clause of a sentence.

however, when it is used in a subordinate clause, then its meaning isn't necessarily "right now" anymore -- the meaning is "going on at the same time as the action in the main clause, and viewed as a background / ambient event".
e.g.,
James is always calm, even when everyone else is going crazy.
--> this doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else is going crazy right now; rather, it just means that james still, in general, remains calm when things *do* happen to be that way.
same here.
Thanks Ron.

My bad.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 am
sophiesaurabh wrote:Thanks Ron.

My bad.
sure.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron