the greatest road system

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

the greatest road system

by simone88 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 am
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to Southern Chile.

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
E. Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

Arer B and D grammatically incorrect? and why?

by Blue_Skies » Fri May 31, 2013 11:15 am
simone88 wrote:The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to Southern Chile.

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending // the non -essential clause after ,which lacks any verb. Incorrect.
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended // Correct
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended // It adds extra relative pronoun which between the subject 'railroad system'and the verb 'was'. The extra which is not needed. Eliminated.
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended // Changes the meaning as if the railroad system was expanded after it was built. Eliminated.
E. Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending // Could be correct, though i am not very positive because , the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, is merely a non essential modifier and if you neglect the stuff between commas the sentence is :
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to Southern Chile.
Reading the sentence it feels like the railroad system itself was extending rather than somebody extending it.

Arer B and D grammatically incorrect? and why?
My Answer is B.

by apoorva.rattan » Fri May 31, 2013 3:33 pm
IMO E

by fulltapori » Fri May 31, 2013 8:18 pm
IMO E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:46 am
simone88 wrote:The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to Southern Chile.

A. Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended
C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended
D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended
E. Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending

Are B and D grammatically incorrect? and why?
In A, the which-clause (which...Chile) lacks a verb.
Eliminate A.

In C, the Incan highway (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate C.

With regard to B and D: extended and extending convey different meanings.
Case 1: a highway extended implies that SOMEONE STRETCHED the highway beyond its initial length.
Case 2: a highway extending implies that the HIGHWAY ITSELF was long enough to STRETCH across the indicated distance.
The intended meaning here is Case 2.
Eliminate B and D.

The correct answer is E.

Analysis of the OA:
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus, the Incan highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to Southern Chile.
Here, the subject of the sentence is the Incan highway.
The greatest road system is as an APPOSITIVE serving to DEFINE the Incan highway.
The COMMA + VERBing modifier (extending from Northern Ecuador through Peru) serves an as adverb modifying the preceding clause, providing context for HOW the Incan highway WAS over 2,500 miles long.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by simone88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:00 am
Consider the followings:
F: Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in lenght and extending
G: Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in lenght, extended
Could F and G be correct answers? I am asking this becaus I want to know whether or not the usage of "was" in B and the usage of the subordinate "being over 2,500 miles in lenght" in D are mistakes.

by him1985 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 am
The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus was the Incan highway, which, over 2,500 miles long and extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

- Lets analyze the question- subject are highlighted in Bold and verb in italic font

Clause 1 : The greatest road system built in the Americas prior to the arrival of Christopher Columbus wasthe Incan highway
Clause 2: which, over 2,500 miles long and
extending from northern Ecuador through Peru to southern Chili.

So 2nd clause do not have any verb.

A. Underlined portion
B. Columbus was the Incan highway, over 2,500 miles in length, and extended - "Comma + and" starts a new clause, which do not have any subject.

C. Columbus, the Incan highway, which was over 2,500 miles in length and extended - Clause 1 do not contain the verb and extended is a modifier, which is not parallel to was over

D. Columbus, the Incan highway, being over 2,500 miles in length, was extended - Shift the main focus of scentence and use of being is incorrect here.

E. Columbus, the Incan Highway was over 2,500 miles long, extending - extending is modifying the Greatest road system and correctly expressing intent of the sentence. This is correct answer
Himanshu Chauhan