the goat is

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

the goat is

by j_shreyans » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 am
Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on a ready-made barnyard knoll; the goat is considerably more adaptable than its cousin, the sheep.

A)Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on a ready-made barnyard knoll; the goat is

B)The goat, as comfortable scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as to perch on ready-made barnyard knolls, it is

C)As comfortable when scrambling up the craggiest, treacherous mountain landscapes as when perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, goats are

D)Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and most treacherous mountain landscapes as they are perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, goats are

E)As comfortable scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, the goat is

OAE

I got this one right, but I still need a explanation.

B: As comfortable .....as to perch is not parallel.So I can eliminate option B

C: Goats does not match with singular pronoun its. So I can eliminate option C

D: Goats does not match with singular pronoun its. So I can eliminate option D

Option A I eliminated because i found this fragmented is this right? Any other reason to eliminate option A.

Experts, if there are any other reasons to eliminate the options then please advise and also correct me if I am wrong.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:43 pm
There is a clue left in the second part - more adaptable than ITS cousin. So the second part should contain only THE GOAT. So we can eliminate choices with GOATS.

Option A - use of semicolon means separate sentence. But the initial part is just a modifier for the Goat. Eliminate A. A also means two sets of mountains. The Craggiest Mountain and Treacherous mountains.

A)Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on a ready-made barnyard knoll; the goat is

Option B Scrambling and To PERCH are not parallel.
B)The goat, as comfortable scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as to perch on ready-made barnyard knolls, it is

Option C - Changes the meaning that Goats are comfortable WHEN scrambling. Means they are comfortable during the time they scramble up. Not the intended meaning.
C)As comfortable when scrambling up the craggiest, treacherous mountain landscapes as when perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, goats are

Option D - The first part THEY are collides with second part GOATS are. Also second part states that Goat is more adaptable than ITS cousin. So IT refers to the GOAT.
D)Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and most treacherous mountain landscapes as they are perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, goats are

E is correct and First part of scrambling and perching modifies the Goat and is followed by comma. This sentence refers to one set of mountains that are the craggiest, most treacherous.
E)As comfortable scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, the goat is

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:06 am
j_shreyans wrote:Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest and treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on a ready-made barnyard knoll; the goat is considerably more adaptable than its cousin, the sheep.

A: equally at ease scrambling...as perching
D: equally at ease scrambling...as they are perching
Here, equally X as Y is unidiomatic.
Correct idiom: AS X AS Y.
Eliminate A and D.

In B, the goat (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate B.

In C, goats (plural) does not agree with its (singular).
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:53 am
Is this idiomatic?
Equally at ease with scrambling....and perching...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thuyduong91vnu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:57 pm
Hi,

Could someone help to explain, I have two questions about this:

1, "Comfortable" is used to modify the verbs "scramble up" and "perch", right? So why it should not be in adverb form instead? I mean, what is wrong with "As comfortably scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as perching on..."? I think I am misunderstanding something here :(

2, If we want to use "Equally at ease" to make this comparison, so how the sentence should be?

Thanks for your help :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am
1. "Comfortable" is not actually modifying the verbs, it's modifying goat:
"Comfortable (doing stuff), the goat is..."

2. "Equally at ease" could be correctly used with the idiom "equally at ease doing X and doing Y."

Answer choice E could have said:
Equally at ease scrambling up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes and perching on ready-made barnyard knolls, the goat is
and it would arguably have been equally correct.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thuyduong91vnu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm
Hi ceilidh.erickson,

Thanks for your response. So as I understand, the OA could be re-written as "The goat is as comfortable to scramble up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as (it is) to perch on ready-made barnyard knolls ...", right?

Please help to clarify :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed May 04, 2016 5:05 pm
thuyduong91vnu wrote:Hi ceilidh.erickson,

Thanks for your response. So as I understand, the OA could be re-written as "The goat is as comfortable to scramble up the craggiest, most treacherous mountain landscapes as (it is) to perch on ready-made barnyard knolls ...", right?

Please help to clarify :)
Yes, if that were the entire sentence, that modifier structure would be correct... although the correct idiom would be "as comfortable scrambling" rather than "as comfortable to scramble."

Since the non-underlined portion is "... considerably more adaptable than its cousin, the sheep.", though, we need "the goat is..." to end the underlined portion.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education