This topic has 1 member reply
krista Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages

The GMAT Beat Me :(

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:55 pm
The GMAT Beat Me Sad
Hi Everyone,
I would like to share a puzzling GMAT experience. I have been studying for the GMAT for the last three months. I have taken all of the Kaplan tests, GMATprep tests and PowerPrep tests. In the last PP tests I scored 690 and 720. In both I scored in the 90th percentile in math. I read in some of the online blogs that the math section resembles the hard OG questions. Today I took the test, the math section was exactly like KAPLAN math!!! The first question I got was so hard I still can't figure it out. I was OK on time, but it was certainly an uphill battle. In math I scored in the 67th percentile. Very sad since according to PP I was fine. Overall I score 640, completely out of my predicted range. I am going to try to take the test again in three weeks. However, I don't know what to do because I have completely exhausted all of my studying material. I have purchased Kaplan 800 because the questions were similar to the ones I saw on the test. I must be doing something wrong because I don't know how I could have been so out of my predicted range. If anyone can figure this one out, I will appreciate any suggestion. I was going for 720 but now I will be thrilled with a 700. Thanks for reading!
Krista

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:12 pm
Hi Krista:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

It is certainly strange that your actual GMAT performance would be so different from how you tested on PowerPrep and GMATPrep. Do you think that you had let that first difficult math problem throw off your concentration for the rest of the section? From what I've observed, many people put a lot of attention and effort on the first few questions of each section on the GMAT, believing that the first few questions are all that matter in determining the final score for the section. This isn't really the case--while the first few questions are certainly important, if you make a mistake early in the test, there is still time to compensate and ultimately score well. To give a visceral example, I remember on one of my GMATPrep practice tests, I made an error on question two in the math section--I still managed a 50.

Don't let really difficult questions throw off your concentration! You can't let it ruin your focus--after all, it may be an experimental question and not count.

In terms of preparation for the next few weeks--I recommend the Kaplan 800 book as well. It has some good techniques for solving difficult math problems. Also, I would recommend reviewing OG one more time, and re-taking the two GMATPrep tests. In OG and GMATPrep, focus on identifying patterns in test questions. I've noticed that the same patterns are tested over and over again on the GMAT.

I hope that this advice helps. In the end, Krista, you've got to stay mentally strong. If you encounter a really hard question early in your next GMAT, don't let it throw your concentration! You have time to recover, and remember that the question may be experimental.

Best of luck!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 62 topics
3 swerve 62 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 58 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

172 posts
2 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

154 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

131 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

127 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

125 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts