The first Trenches

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm
Stacey,

I think this question is from OG.

Vikas
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond. I don't see a source cited for this problem. Please cite the source and I will be happy to reply (assuming it isn't a banned source!). :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 am
Wherever this came from, it needs to be edited / proofed. viidyasagar's right - there are no correct answers here.

When you're typing in a problem, PLEASE proofread the entire problem carefully. And when you're studying, try to study from the original source. A lot of you have been spending time on this one trying to find the right answer, and you've probably been driving yourselves crazy trying to justify one of the answers (E? A?), when they're all wrong!

Here's the correctly-transcribed problem:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/the ... t7576.html
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anje29 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:23 am
Correct ans. is 'E'

Lets see the explanation

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar , Syria , have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but

'that were cut' is not wrong but unnecessary ;'evidence for ' is unidiomatic

B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar , Syria , yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but also

'trenches' require plural form not singular 'yields' ;'were arising' wrong as there is no continuous process.

C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar , Syria , have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously but

'having been .....have yielded' awkward ;'simulataneously but independently of' not parallel

D. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar , Syria , yields strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also

E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar , Syria , have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but --Correct

Press Kudos ,if it helped :)