The dreaded round 3 application......

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

The dreaded round 3 application......

by Orion007 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:00 pm
Hi guys,

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked before (did read the "Round 3 Attracts Maverick MBA Applicants" thread though)

The idea of getting my MBA came to me pretty late in the game. Due to family reasons, I need to stay local and do part time, making UCLA part time ideal.

However, at this point, I can only really make the 3rd round application deadline and I'd have to rush just a bit.

In this case, should I wait to apply next year in first round when more spots are available thus giving me a higher chance of admission?

If I apply round 3 this year and don't get in, does that have any effect, positive or negative, if I re-applied next year?

Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:770

by mbawisdom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:45 am
I would encourage you to apply in round 3 if you have enough time to put together a solid application. I wouldn't rush an application just to meet a deadline. I know many people who have got admitted in round 3 (some even got major scholarships).

Not being admitted doesn't necessarily negatively effect your chances next year. But lets be positive and aim for this year!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:07 am
Hi Orion007,

3rd rounds are always tough and depends on the availability of seats left. If you get rejected this year and apply as a re applicant next year then your application is generally scrutinized in greater detail since you have already been rejected once. So my suggestion would be to wait till next year and put your best foot forward.

Hope this helps.Let us know if you would have any further queries and we would be happy to help.
www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 am
Orion007 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been asked before (did read the "Round 3 Attracts Maverick MBA Applicants" thread though)

The idea of getting my MBA came to me pretty late in the game. Due to family reasons, I need to stay local and do part time, making UCLA part time ideal.

However, at this point, I can only really make the 3rd round application deadline and I'd have to rush just a bit.

In this case, should I wait to apply next year in first round when more spots are available thus giving me a higher chance of admission?

If I apply round 3 this year and don't get in, does that have any effect, positive or negative, if I re-applied next year?

Thanks.
Round three is much more reasonable for part-time than full-time programs, so if it's to your benefit, just apply this year.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 am
Hello All,

Attend Our Webinar Today: Options are still open to Study Abroad, Fall 2015!

Date: Wednesday, January 14th 2015

Time: 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Regsiter for Free: https://www.manyagroup.com/admissionwebinar/

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 pm
If you're still considering whether to pull the trigger for R3, assuming that you have your GMAT in order, you should be fine applying to UCLA's PT program.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:42 am
First of all, please note this list of late (but not necessarily last round) deadlines for this year: https://www.aringo.com/lowseasondeadlines.htm
The reasonable scenario is that even if you are not accepted this year, this will not significantly (or even not at all) undermine your admission chances next year. As long as your application is of reasonable quality and its content does not wreck your future prospects, you will even score some extra points with many programs (Wharton is the most prominent one in this respect) for sticking with the school year after year.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MBA Link Lawrence » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:43 pm
The biggest mistake that MBA hopefuls make is not applying.

3rd round is certainly more competitive, but you lose nothing by giving it a shot and have a tremendous amount to gain:

Heading to B school a full year earlier in your career path.

Lawrence

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 pm
I put together some thoughts for round 3 that might help you...
Apply Round 3 - Pros
One of the first questions I ask students is how set are they on going to school THIS year? Well if there is some extenuating circumstance that is essentially forcing the applicant's hand, then let's go ahead and apply. Applicants that fall into this category can include an international student whose visa is expiring or someone who was recently laid off from their job. So if you are set on applying in round three, the most important tip I can give you is adjust your school expectations. You might think you have a top ten profile, but you will need to apply to a much wider range of schools in order to make it in round 3. Also, lower ranked schools will probably have a higher percentage of seats available than higher ranked ones. Especially as waitlists at higher ranked schools clear and applicants "trade up" from lower ranked schools.
Apply Round 3 - Cons
It's fairly intuitive that most schools have already admitted a majority of students in their first few rounds of applications. While there is no firm number, you can expect that at least 90 per cent of seats have already been given away by a particular school, so the odds are definitely against you, and you'll have to be a fairly outstanding applicant to have a shot in round three.
Wait for Next Year - Pros
I'm a big fan of waiting for next year for fringe students. Especially those who have some kind of hole in their application, such as less than 3 years of work experience, a low gmat, a low gpa or less than stellar work experience. An applicant can use that extra year to add quite a bit to their profile. First, there is plenty of time to take a GMAT course and bump up a low score fifty or more points. Secondly, the applicant can search out new and challenging work assignments or leadership positions that would impress the admissions committee. Finally, the applicant can apply in the first round and open up more opportunities for themselves.
Wait for Next Year - Cons
If you don't think that your situation will be any better, then you might as well apply now. If your job is so consuming that you don't think you'll be able to focus on your application all that more over the next year than you were able to do this year, the extra time won't help you. Additionally, the competition for those seats are not going to get easier as more applicants come to the age where they will be applying to school.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!