the "dreaded" Indian/IT applicant pool

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

the "dreaded" Indian/IT applicant pool

by rockthegmat11 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 am
Hey,
Just wanted to clarify ... what exactly is this "dreaded" Indian IT pool. Does it refer to Indian (international) applicants who are working in the software engineering industry, or all electrical/computer engineers (residents/citizens) in the US as well? I'm a product engineer (Radio Frequency engineering) working in a reputable company near Philadelphia. I have a BSEE/MSEE (dual degree) in Electronics (BSEE) and Electrophysics (MSEE). Will I be considered a part of that overrepresented applicant pool?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members
Hi...I have been sitting on your question for a few days wondering how to answer it and realized I probably can't. I know I was quoting someone else with the word "dreaded" but it was probably a mistake to do so. The Indian IT population is heavily represented in business school admissions, but so are other populations (e.g. consultants, investment bankers) and every year, candidates from those pools get accepted. Does it make the process a bit more competitive? Yes. But it is not something that can be changed, and should not be described as dreaded. Beyond that, I don't believe there is a rigid definition and each admissions member could look at the applicant pool differently. Just focus on writing the strongest application you can, representing multiple dimensions of your personality and showing self-reflection, leadership, results, confidence and initiative.

Best of luck.

rockthegmat11 wrote:Hey,
Just wanted to clarify ... what exactly is this "dreaded" Indian IT pool. Does it refer to Indian (international) applicants who are working in the software engineering industry, or all electrical/computer engineers (residents/citizens) in the US as well? I'm a product engineer (Radio Frequency engineering) working in a reputable company near Philadelphia. I have a BSEE/MSEE (dual degree) in Electronics (BSEE) and Electrophysics (MSEE). Will I be considered a part of that overrepresented applicant pool?
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php