Survey_parallel structure

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Survey_parallel structure

by Soumita » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:33 pm
A new survey has found that within the past few years, many athletes had elected early retirement rather than risk the possibility of injury and the increasing demands of competition.

A.had elected early retirement rather than risk

B.had elected early retirement instead of risking

C.have elected retiring early instead of risking

D.have elected to retire early rather than risking

E.have elected to retire early rather than risk

How E is correct ?? It is not maintaining parallelism between "retire early" and "risk". Because in this choice there is to before retire whereas there is no to before risk. So this choice lack parallelism.

I choose C as in this choice parallelism is maintained between"retire early" and "risk". This choice has maintained parallelism by using retiring early instead of risking.

Please let me know where I am wrong? kindly explain elaborately so that I can use the strategy in future.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm
Whenever you have a verb composed of more than a single word (such as the infinitive, past perfect, present progressive, etc), it's implied that the first verb element is distributed to both items in the list.

For example:
I like to draw and paint.

What are our parallel elements here? The first is TO DRAW, but the second is just PAINT. Is that ok? Well, yes! It's implied the the TO applies to DRAW and PAINT:
I like to draw and [to] paint.

This will be true for any compound verb:

I will jog to the park and walk home. = I will jog to the park and [will] walk home.

Researchers have gathered data and drawn conclusions. = Researchers have gathered data and [have] drawn conclusions.

So, in this sentence, it's perfectly ok to say HAVE ELECTED... RATHER THAN RISK, because that TO "carries" to RISK as well.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Soumita » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm
Thanks a lot.

Can you let me know if of is used before and & then to is used after and then whether parallelism will be maintained?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm
If OF is used before the AND, and TO is used after, then no - parallelism cannot be maintained. For example, ...of risking and to retire... or ...to retire and of risking... would both be incorrect.

...of retiring and risking... would be correct, though, because again that OF carries to both RETIRING and RISKING.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Soumita » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm
Thanks a lot !!

There is one more question just to clear my confusion.

So can we use for retiring and of risking?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm
Would be very curious to know the source of this question. Reminds me of the following official question (I think in Verbal supplement):

A recent study has found that within the past few years, many doctors had elected early retirement rather than face the threats of lawsuits and the rising costs of malpractice insurance.

So if you have Verbal supplement, you might want to look at official explanation.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi