Varsity Tutors

Studying on your own

This topic has 0 member replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Studying on your own

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:20 pm
Quote:
hey eric!! how ya doin man?

eric i read on blog that u also prepared on ur own and scored a decent score !!!

man i atlast got gmatprep took the test one but scored a pathetic 710!!!!!
Sad

man and worst thing is that i scored a poor 38 in verbal Sad(

dude as i m also preparin on my own i think ur advice cld be very helpful for me

man suggeeets me any special startegy i shld go for?

last time u suggested me to go for manhattan sc book my fin condition is not very sound like a normal gmat test taker and 17 dollar{current discount price for that book on aamazon} is like an anuual budget for me!!!!!!!

so even,forget any practice tets,og 11 is out of option but no regrets!!!!!coz even i score god in gmat i wont be able o join some cool college coz of lack of finances !!!!!!but still scorin well in gmat cld give me nice feelin that i m not in harard only coz of money!!!!!????? Very Happy sour grapes i know!!!!

so plz sugest me with these so narrow resources,how shld i prepare?only resource i have is all free downloadanble study material on web!thats y i suggest that beatthegmat have study material section!!!!!!

anyways coming back to point,i can cover on my own on cr{5 wrong qestions on gmatprep} and rc ic not that bad but in sc i made 7 mistakessss!!!!!!!
so i m keepin log of my mistakes but still nnot much help!!!!!!!
so plz suggest!!!!!!

and yes if u want me to ask this in public then plz just copy paste it wherever in whichever thread u want and just tell me that u have done so ;and lz donn rint my name thr !!!!!!
and i was wondering does someone who has taht manhattan sc cd share book's theory ith me here on blog!!!!!wat u say?is it too much exectations?

and by the way y is aim-wsc retiring from the grp!!??
The person who asked this question asked to remain anonymous.

You ask a lot of questions, but basically what I'm hearing from you is: "how do I prepare for the GMAT effectively if I can't purchase any textbooks?"

Fortunately, there are a lot of great free resources available on the Internet. Check out the sticky posts on this forum--I feature a lot of great software and resources that are available to download. These materials will provide you a great conceptual overview of topics on the test, as well as some good practice questions.

The principles of effectively studying for the GMAT are the same whether you have all the money in the world to purchase books/services, or no money at all: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Do as many practice tests and questions as you can get your hands on. I'm thinking that with resources like 1000SC and 1000CR, you aren't going to run out of material any time soon.

Also, when you go through your practice sets, be strategic about honing in on your weaknesses and strengthening them. You said that you currently keep a log of your questions. That's great, but how are you analyzing your log? You said you have particular weakness in SC--but do you make mistakes specifically with idiom questions? Parallelism? Subject-Verb agreement?

When you keep your log of errors, take some time to really find out where you are specifically weak. Review those errors you make on a daily basis and make every effort you can with your existing resources and on this forum to figure out how to improve these areas.

I hope I've been able to answer your core question! Always happy to follow up.

Best of luck!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 61 topics
3 Roland2rule 54 topics
4 ardz24 44 topics
5 VJesus12 14 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

155 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

105 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

101 posts
4 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

82 posts
5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

80 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts