33 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

Study plan - please help

Post Sat May 14, 2016 12:31 am
Hi
I am about a month into my preparation now and wanted to get some guidance on how should I proceed from here. Progress so far in brief:
- I took practice test in OG, untimed. Figured out that I need to improve a lot on SC and CR. Accuracy and time on RC was ok but the time I took on SC and CR was prohibitive.

- I had Kaplan premiere so I did the theory of each section from that, except SC. Did all problem sets in Kaplan and marked good qns.

- Finished theory from MGMAT SC and I am still revising everything to let it sink in. Finished half of all problem sets from MGMAT SC.

- Took GMATprep test (full with awa & IR), scored 720 BUT could not even attempt last 4 qns on the test in verbal section. Avg Time taken in RC - 2'20", CR - 2'05", SC- 1'45". Score in verbal: 37, quant: 50.

I have included above details to make sure I express my concern about timing issues I have in verbal currently. I have plans to go through OG and OG verbal.

Can someone please guide me with the strategy to be followed from here. I realize I need to get down on times for each section of verbal. But how? Any other source I should be practicing from or any tips on how I approach remaining two sources (OG & OG verbal). I plan to take the test towards end of july/ first week of august.

Thanks

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
OptimusPrep Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
410 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Top Reply
Post Tue May 17, 2016 6:04 pm
Gaurav Mittal wrote:
Hi
I am about a month into my preparation now and wanted to get some guidance on how should I proceed from here. Progress so far in brief:
- I took practice test in OG, untimed. Figured out that I need to improve a lot on SC and CR. Accuracy and time on RC was ok but the time I took on SC and CR was prohibitive.

- I had Kaplan premiere so I did the theory of each section from that, except SC. Did all problem sets in Kaplan and marked good qns.

- Finished theory from MGMAT SC and I am still revising everything to let it sink in. Finished half of all problem sets from MGMAT SC.

- Took GMATprep test (full with awa & IR), scored 720 BUT could not even attempt last 4 qns on the test in verbal section. Avg Time taken in RC - 2'20", CR - 2'05", SC- 1'45". Score in verbal: 37, quant: 50.

I have included above details to make sure I express my concern about timing issues I have in verbal currently. I have plans to go through OG and OG verbal.

Can someone please guide me with the strategy to be followed from here. I realize I need to get down on times for each section of verbal. But how? Any other source I should be practicing from or any tips on how I approach remaining two sources (OG & OG verbal). I plan to take the test towards end of july/ first week of august.

Thanks
Hi Gaurav,

That is a fantastic 1st CAT score. Make sure you remain focussed on the studies.
There is a high penalty for not completing a section, so make sure you mark all the questions on the test.

To improve, you need to understand your pain areas. As such, you need to drill down deep in each section and find out the problematic question types:

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

While practicing, try to solve 15 CR, 15 SC and 3 - 4 RC each day and make sure you time yourself to improve your speed.

Optimus Prep™ GMAT Courses:
www.Optimus-Prep.com/GMAT

Free Online Trial Hour:
http://www.optimus-prep.com/request-free-online-trial-hour/

Free GMAT Study Plan:
http://www.optimus-prep.com/ebook/

Optimus Prep™ Rates:
GMAT Private Tutoring Online: $80-100/hr.*
GMAT Private Tutoring In-Person: $130-150/hr.*
GMAT On Demand Course: $299 (Use Discount Code BEATTHEGMAT111)*

*All GMAT Courses Have A 50 Points Score Improvement Or Full Refund Guarantee

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Top Reply
Post Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 am
Hi Gaurav Mittal,

If you took this CAT under realistic conditions, then this is a fantastic performance and it appears that you're on your way to earning a high score on Test Day. The pacing issue that you're facing in the Verbal section is likely due to a couple of different factors - some of which should improve in time. First, if you find yourself re-reading and re-reading the prompt/answers (instead of taking proper notes on the pad), then that could eat up your clock (in small 'chunks'). SCs are remarkably pattern-heavy, so if you make it a point to note the patterns in the prompts that you practice, then you will likely see those same patterns again (and recognize them faster so that you end up answering those SCs faster). With RC and CR, the patterns are more about the logic and structure of the prompts, but recognizing those patterns should also save you some time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: Gaurav Mittal
OptimusPrep Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
410 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Post Tue May 17, 2016 6:04 pm
Gaurav Mittal wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Hi Gaurav,

That is a fantastic 1st CAT score. Make sure you remain focussed on the studies.
There is a high penalty for not completing a section, so make sure you mark all the questions on the test.

To improve, you need to understand your pain areas. As such, you need to drill down deep in each section and find out the problematic question types:

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

While practicing, try to solve 15 CR, 15 SC and 3 - 4 RC each day and make sure you time yourself to improve your speed.

Optimus Prep™ GMAT Courses:
www.Optimus-Prep.com/GMAT

Free Online Trial Hour:
http://www.optimus-prep.com/request-free-online-trial-hour/

Free GMAT Study Plan:
http://www.optimus-prep.com/ebook/

Optimus Prep™ Rates:
GMAT Private Tutoring Online: $80-100/hr.*
GMAT Private Tutoring In-Person: $130-150/hr.*
GMAT On Demand Course: $299 (Use Discount Code BEATTHEGMAT111)*

*All GMAT Courses Have A 50 Points Score Improvement Or Full Refund Guarantee

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 112 topics
2 swerve 64 topics
3 LUANDATO 64 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

227 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

176 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

138 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

129 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts