Study plan help needed from 600 to 720+

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Study plan help needed from 600 to 720+

by Semusal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am
Hello Fellows,

I took PR CAT Tests. Scored 4 in IR and 600 in first CAT with V/Q 33/40. 620 in CAT2 with 29/47. Score too bad? The results are from going through PR Book in 3 weeks. I have Manhattan and Kaplan Premier at disposal with OG 2015. Exam is scheduled on 24th May. Any tips how should I move forward?

My plan is to go through Manhattan Guides and then OG 2015. I will have three weeks left before exam which I plan to concentrate on building stamina with Kaplan CATs and free Exams from mba.com. If needed I'll buy the Exam packs as well. Kindly give suggestions if this plan has any flaws? Many thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:41 am
Hi Semusal,

With a May 24th Test Date, you have almost 3 months of additional study time - which is good. If you've only taken those two PR CATs though, then it would be useful to see how you would score on one of the Official CATs (including the Essay and IR sections). As such, I suggest that you study as you like for the next week, then take one of those CATs. Once you have that score result, you should post back here.

Raising a 600 to 720+ will take some serious work - and you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. In addition, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. To track your progress during your studies, you should plan to take a FULL CAT every 1-2 weeks (instead of 'saving' them all for the last 3 weeks of your studies).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Semusal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:43 am
I just scored 620 on Exam 1 of Free GMAT with 4 in IR. The score is consistent with PR scores. I am thinking to focus on making basis with MH and OG books while gauging prepation every 3 weeks. Last few weeks I shall focus on making stamina with Kaplan CATS and buying Question Pack 1. Any one kindly comment if this sounds like a good plan to raise from 620 to 720 with 11 weeks in hand? I'll take 2 weeks off from work in between as well for focused preparation.

Looking forward to experienced guys replying with best advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:32 am
Hi Semusal,

Your general plan sounds fine for now - but you will likely make adjustments to it as better define the areas that you have to put some extra work into.

You didn't mention your overall goals in your original post:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

by Semusal » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:53 pm
Schools in Germany or may be Insead if 700+. June this year.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:01 am
Hi Semusal,

Your plan for the near-term seems fine, so you should proceed as planned. We can use your next CAT result to gauge how well your studies are progressing (and what changes, if any, need to occur).

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 am
Semusal wrote:I just scored 620 on Exam 1 of Free GMAT with 4 in IR. The score is consistent with PR scores. I am thinking to focus on making basis with MH and OG books while gauging prepation every 3 weeks. Last few weeks I shall focus on making stamina with Kaplan CATS and buying Question Pack 1. Any one kindly comment if this sounds like a good plan to raise from 620 to 720 with 11 weeks in hand? I'll take 2 weeks off from work in between as well for focused preparation.

Looking forward to experienced guys replying with best advice!
I'll echo Rich's sentiment about the importance of taking practice tests on a semi-regular basis. Part of preparing for the exam is mastering the strategies and the foundational math. But a large part entails applying those techniques under testing conditions and getting feedback on what's working and what isn't. Spend time thoroughly dissecting each practice exam after you take it and try to distill your analysis into 3-4 concrete takeaways. Make a separate sheet of summarized takeaways and come back to it often to ensure that you internalize them. (And as a side note, I do think the Exam Packs are worthwhile investments.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course