Study Plan for a month

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aishwarya garg » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:46 am
I am facing the same problem. I gave my first GMAT exam on 27th August and scored a 580 (36 quant, 21 verbal) which came as a huge shock to me since I never scored less than 620 in any of the mocks I had given before the test.
Even in the MGMAT Practice test which is claimed to be a shade tougher than the actual GMAT test, I had scored a 620. I was very disappointed with the GMAT test score especially the verbal section. Below are my mock scores.
MGMAT Practice test - 620
GMAT Prep 1- 650
GMAT Prep 2-670
Veritas Practice test - 680

I had spent around 2 months preparing for the GMAT test and had finished the practice questions in the OG 13th ed and most of the MGMAT practice questions.

My target score is 700+ and I wish to give another attempt in another 2 months.

Can someone help me make a study plan along with the books I should refer? Really lost as to how I should get back up on my feet.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:57 am
Hi aishwarya garg,

When a Test Taker's Official Score is significantly lower than his/her practice CAT scores, the reason is usually unrealistic practice or simply a "bad" Test Day. This means that we have to take a good look at how you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including Essay and IR) or did you skip sections?
2) Did you ever take a practice CAT a 2nd or 3rd time?
3) Did you ever do anything unrealistic or non-Test-like (pause the Test, take it on a laptop computer, take it at home, etc.)?

By giving yourself another 2 months to study, you have a lot of time to improve and fix whatever "issues" you had when you studied the first time.

1) Did you use any other practice materials besides the print materials that you mentioned?
2) What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aishwarya garg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 pm
Hi Rich,

I know I posted similar queries on different forums but its cause my low score came as a real shock to me and I am yet to figure out what went wrong where. Hopefully you can help me pin point:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including Essay and IR) or did you skip sections?
Yes I did. I took the entire CAT (except one mock where I skipped the essay section) to build up on my stamina to take the real test.

2) Did you ever take a practice CAT a 2nd or 3rd time?
I took each of the mocks I had mentioned only once. GMAT Prep1, GMAT Prep2, Veritas, Manhattan.

3) Did you ever do anything unrealistic or non-Test-like (pause the Test, take it on a laptop computer, take it at home, etc.)?
All the CATS I took were at home on my laptop since I was studying on my own without any tutoring or guidance.

I did not use any other materials to study besides the books I mentioned in my previous post. I did, however, practice questions using the drills provided on the princeton review and kaplan websites.

I am planning to apply to schools next fall, though it hasnt been confirmed yet.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 am
Good study plan for freshers who wants to prepare for GMAT exam. Please provide other good time management tricks so that we will perform better in our exam.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:48 am
I will try to implement all of these methods in my study routine to improve my preparation, Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 pm
Hi aishwarya garg,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]