Stuck after months. How to go from Q44 to Q50?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I've been studying for the GMAT for six months and feel like I'm plateauing. My scores have been hovering around the 700 to 710, but I can't seem to break out of that score range. I know this is good, but my target score is 730 and I'd really like to get there. Here are my test scores and you can see that somehow I'm getting worse. Verbal is strong and I feel like I should be focusing on quant only.

I'm not sure why I can't improve. I've been studying quant problems roughly two hours each day during the week and three to five hours on the weekends. Any advice or tips? Currently I've been going over missed problems over and over until I know them. I've also memorized all the recommended tips (primes, triangle rules, etc.).

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:39 pm
Hi jwagner2718,

To figure out why you're unable to get past a particular scoring level, some analysis is in order. You have to look at HOW you're approaching questions and factor in a number of details:

1) How often are you getting questions wrong because of a silly/minor mistake?
2) How often are you getting questions wrong because you consider the question to be "too hard?"
3) Do you have a pacing problem in the Quant section (and do you have to guess on questions at the end just to finish on time?)?
4) Are you taking your CATs in a realistic way?
5) Are you taking your CATs in such a way so that you can maximize your performance?

I'm hoping that you can answer a few additional questions too:
1) What materials have you been using to study?
2) When if your Official Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jwagner2718 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions:

1) How often are you getting questions wrong because of a silly/minor mistake?
I've been keeping track of all the problems I've worked through since the start of September. I'm getting roughly 30% wrong because of a silly/minor mistake

2) How often are you getting questions wrong because you consider the question to be "too hard?"
This I'm a little fuzzy on. My error log is broken out into "Careless, Content, and Technique" and the "too hard" problems typically fall under "Technique." This accounts for 60% of my missed answers

3) Do you have a pacing problem in the Quant section (and do you have to guess on questions at the end just to finish on time?)?
Pacing seems fine. I've been able to finish all practice tests without having to rush through the end and guess blindly

4) Are you taking your CATs in a realistic way?
Do you mind elaborating on this? I've been taking them in one sitting and only allowing myself the regular test breaks. I have not been completing the AWA sections however as writing is a strong suit of mine and when I took the test my first time I scored 6 on that section

5) Are you taking your CATs in such a way so that you can maximize your performance?
Do you mind expanding on this?

I'm hoping that you can answer a few additional questions too:
1) What materials have you been using to study?
I've been almost exclusively been using the Veritas Prep study materials. As you can see in the first post, most of those practice tests are through that company. This has involved going through their lesson books and completing all homework problems a number of times. Recently I've been going through the practice question bank and taking practice quizzes. If I miss a question I take a screenshot and put it into a PowerPoint, creating "challenge problem" decks that I go through until either I get the problem correct. I've also created flashcards based off the free flashcards from this site and general math pieces I've needed to know.

2) When if your Official Test Date?
My test date is on November 1st of this year and will be my second attempt at the test. Do you think this will be enough time to get to my target score or should I eat the $50 to reschedule a later time?[/list]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:07 pm
Hi jwagner2718,

You've provided a great deal of useful information, and the "short" answer to your last question is YES, I think that you can hit your score goal on November 1st. Hitting your goal will depend on a couple of factors though. I'm going to work through the information you're provided, then have you do another CAT under some very specific conditions.

Right now, ANYTHING you qualify as a silly mistake is the BIG problem. The GMAT becomes really "sensitive" at the higher levels, so just a handful of silly mistakes will keep you from your goal. Thankfully, those should be the easiest things to fix. You MUST fix them otherwise you are unlikely to hit 730+.

A realistic CAT involves taking ALL sections under Test-like conditions (at a location other than your residence, on a desk-top computer, the same time of day at your Official GMAT, etc.). If you DON'T do that, then your score results become suspect and possibly "inflated" (if you skip sections, then you're not facing the "fatigue issue" that is a part of the Official GMAT). To maximize your performance, you also have to think about what time of day and day of the week you're taking these CATs. For example, taking a CAT in the evening usually DOESN'T lead to the best results because the Test Taker is a little too tired to perform at his/her best. Every person has a general "best time" to take a full-length Test - you need to figure out when that time is and take your GMAT at that time.

It looks like you've taken 2 of the 4 Official GMAT CATS. If you're comfortable with the expense, then you should purchase the 2 additional CATs. Take 1 of them IN ITS ENTIRETY (including the Essay) and put all of your best efforts into it (focus on eliminating the silly mistakes). That CAT result should provide valuable info on your true ability and what you'll have to work on in this last month.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]