Struggling with GMAT Prep, Any suggestions??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I practice using Magoosh GMAT and I get most of the questions wrong and this is after about a month. I was wondering what one would suggest to overcome this frustration? Would be better to continue doing practice problems with the majority of my time or should I spend majority of my time reviewing the concepts regarding the questions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am
Hi nick0788,

How have you scored on your full-length practice CATs? Have you improved at all or are you stuck at a particular scoring level?

1 month of study might seem like a lot, but most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) to hit their respective peak scores.

In the early phases of study, your emphasis should be on learning the content (question types, math formulas, grammar, etc.) and practicing your tactics and organization (proper note-taking, the various methods for dealing with Quant and Verbal questions). You'll make some mistakes along the way, so you have to put in some time for review. After getting a question wrong and seeing the explanation, go back and redo the question, step-by-step, so you'll have the "mechanics" down the next time you face a question like it.

When are you planning to take the GMAT? And what is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 am
I suggest a systematic (even methodical) approach, in which you take the time to master each topic/concept (e.g., percents, ratios, assumption questions in critical reasoning, comparison questions in sentence correction, etc).

So, for each topic/concept, you should:
1) Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
2) Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
3) Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
4) Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then, move on to the next topic.

To help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

You should also use an Error Log (aka Improvement Chart) while completing questions from the Official Guide (OG). You can find a free downloadable Improvement Chart here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-error-log. This will help you identify and strengthen your weak areas.

I also suggest that you spend a lot of time reviewing the responses from the Experts on this site, since they often model the steps you should be taking when answering questions.

Finally, in addition to learning the core concepts and GMAT-specific strategies, be sure to work on your endurance and test-taking skills (e.g., time management) by taking several practice tests. If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com