Structure and Quality of KAPLAN Online CATs

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Structure and Quality of KAPLAN Online CATs

by rajivn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16 pm
I bought the book Kaplan GMAT 2010 Premier Live Online book mainly for the CATs.

Immediately after I bought the book I registered online to access the CATs. But it took a day for those Practice test links to appear.

I attempted the 1st Practice CAT (online). I was stunned to see the structure of the CAT and the questions.
1. Quants - The 1st 21 - 23 Questions were PS and the remaining were all DS.
2. Verbal - same story. 1st came all SC questions then came all CRs and last all the RCs.
3. Because of that structure - I doubt, if its actually a CAT in 1st place.

This is no way representative of Actual GMAT or GMAT Prep test software. Quant questions were also pretty easy.

I have attempted CD-ROM tests previously, they were tougher than online CATs. Questions were also better than the Online CATs. The only problem with old CD tests was scoring was bit skewed but the test experience it gave was very good.

With talks of GMAT being tougher these days, Kaplan should have made Online CATs similar to CD CATs rather than making them easy. Online CATs are way easier and their structure is totally different from that of GMAT Prep software.

I am not sure if I wasted the money, in buying the book for Online CATs in my quest for additional Practice CATs, as I have exhausted most of the CATs that I have.

Is the pattern same for all the other Online CATs or maybe the 1st one just so happened to be like that ?

Kaplan Reps and others with Kaplan Online CAT experience, do respond.

Thanks.