Struck scoring a cent percent in RC's

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Struck scoring a cent percent in RC's

by raviogs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 am
Hi All,

As i wasnt new to GMAT but yes new to this forum. Heard many good things followed many stories. Now its my time to score..

I have been struggling to comprehend few short RC's and not able to score much as sometimes some or the question are opted with wrong answers that makes my score well short of what is deserved at the moment.

Could you all suggests some ways?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 pm
Hi raviogs,

How have you been approaching RC prompts so far? Have you used any tactics from a GMAT book or Course?

RC is a standard part of the GMAT - the 4 passages fall into patterns and there are just a handful of question types. You'll need to take the right notes to improve your RC performance, but it's doable with practice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by abhasjha » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:29 am
try LSAT reading comprehension bible from poowerscore .....

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by raviogs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:35 am
Hi Rich..

I am not trying any concept or strategy at the moment. Just following the OG and few tips given by my friends who worked around with other books. I joined with a tutor here. But that wasnt helpful with Verbal. With quant i was able to open up.

Please suggest.

@abhasjha

Yes I ll try LSAT RC and would let you know.
Thanks for that piece of advice.

Warm Regards
Ravi

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 pm
Hi Ravi,

Some of the challenges that all Test Takers face with RC are not based on content: the physical "mechanics" of dealing with RC on a computer are different from the ones needed when reading out of a book. You have to take notes (instead of circling or underlining material in a book) and you have to do so while tired.

Investing in a GMAT Course would provide you with a number of benefits - you'll learn how to handle RC, the handful of question types that are attached to RC prompts and the common types of wrong answers that appear. That expertise takes time to achieve, but as with everything else on the GMAT, you can bank on the predictability of the material, so it's really just a matter of how much you're willing to invest in the process of learning it all.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]