Posted:
4 messages
Test Date:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

Strong enough for LBS? Geologist/5+ years intl.exp./660 GMAT

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:55 am
Hi everyone,

I could really use some good advice for my MBA applications. Please consider the following:

Target school: First choice LBS, second choice Imperial/Cass (September 2017 intake)

GMAT: This is the tricky part. I sat my GMAT today and my score was right on the cut-off I had set myself. I scored an overall 660 with Q47 and V34 (IR 7 for what it's worth). I had a nightmare getting to the test centre and I was stressed... Could do better (but time is running out...)

Academic background: BSc in Geoscience (2:1) from a German top university // 1st Class Postgraduate Diploma in Science (Geology and Geophysics) from Auckland University NZ // 1st Class MSc in Petroleum Geoscience from the University of Aberdeen UK (globally one of the highest ranked courses in petroleum geoscience).

Experience: My career background is primarily in oil and gas exploration and production (Maersk Oil // Canadian Natural Resources), with some gold exploration for a small firm. I am a hybrid between a geologist and an engineer. I have worked in Colombia, UK, Denmark, Norway, and Qatar. I was lucky enough that my previous employer has invested a lot in my professional training with lots of business oriented courses, including a mini-MBA from UC Berkeley.

Personal: German male, 31 yo, speaking 3.5 languages (German, English, Spanish, and a bit of Danish)

I am confident that all in all my CV is fairly strong, having studied and worked internationally for 8 years across 7 countries. I'm just a little worried regarding my GMAT. To re-take or not to re-take? Can I compensate for my 'low' GMAT with a strong CV?

I want to make the January deadline for the 2nd round. Alternatively I could do the GMAT again and try my luck in the 3rd round. Which one is better?? Also I am hoping for a scholarship, which is making things more tricky... Wink

Any advice will be greatly appreciated Smile

Last edited by Rosenkatze on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm; edited 6 times in total

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:24 pm
Rosenkatze wrote:
Hi everyone,

I sat my GMAT today and my score was right on the cut-off I had set myself. I scored an overall 660 with Q47 and V34 (IR 7 for what it's worth). LBS is my target school, and Imperial/Cass are a solid plan B.

I have a BSc in Geoscience (2:1) from a German top university and two 1st class postgrad degrees including a Postgraduate Diploma in Science from Auckland University NZ, and an MSc in Petroleum Geoscience from Aberdeen University.

My career is primarily in oil with some gold exploration. I have worked for blue chip organisations and small companies in Colombia, UK, Denmark, Norway, and Qatar. My previous employer has invested a lot in me with lots of business oriented training including a mini-MBA from UC Berkeley.

I guess in all my CV is fairly strong, having studied and worked internationally for 8 years across 7 countries. I'm just a little worried regarding my GMAT. To re-take or not to re-take? Can I compensate for my 'low' GMAT with a strong CV?

I want to make the January deadline for the 2nd round. Alternatively I could do the GMAT again and try my luck in the 3rd round. Which one is better?? Also I am hoping for a scholarship, which is making things more tricky... Wink

Any advice will be greatly appreciated Smile
Your CV looks excellent, even though I am missing some details I can see no issues there but the GMAT score is a bit low for LBS. So while you could apply and hope for the best (a strong CV does help), I would strongly encourage you to consider a re-take. You do want to give the application your all after all, so if you do believe you could do better (and it sounds like you do) a better score would really help you with LBS. If you are okay with your backup options as well, I would apply without retaking, however. So it all comes down to how much you want LBS specifically, as that school in particular could be a bit of a hit or miss in your case.

Rosenkatze Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Test Date:
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:36 pm
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the swift reply! I just edited my original post to add some clarity to my profile.

I really appreciate what you're saying about LBS - it could go either way. Surely though I will have to submit a very convincing application if I want to be considered. I read somewhere that LBS on occasion makes something like conditional offers - asking applicants to re-take the GMAT and come back with a better score (assuming that they really like the rest of the applicants profile/application).

If it doesn't work out, I'd also be happy with my 2nd choices. From what I've seen I really like Imperial and Cass - and I would be more than happy to study there (that's if they take me of course Wink )

Thanks again for your comments!

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

146 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

100 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

92 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

79 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts