Strengthen

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Strengthen

by prachi18oct » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:45 am
During a recent excavation, fragments of a ceremonial urn dating back around 1500 years were discovered in a New Mexico canyon. Prior to this finding, it was believed that the Pueblo tribes who lived in the area around that time made their pottery by hand. However, further investigation revealed that the light brown clay used to create the urn, popularly known as 'golden clay,' could only have been fashioned into an urn with the use of a pottery wheel.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the conclusion that the fragments of the urn are evidence that the Pueblos used the pottery wheel?

A. The remains of a pottery wheel have been unearthed at a Pueblo site in Utah, a finding that predates the discovery of the urn fragments.
B. There is undeniable evidence that the Pueblo tribes who lived in the New Mexico area a millennium ago made frequent use of the pottery wheel.
C. Flooding can soften the texture of clay to an extent that it can easily be molded by hand, and there is evidence that the now-dry canyon once received a considerable amount of rainfall.
D. Golden clay is commonly used by modern-day descendants of the Pueblos to create decorative pieces that can only be made by artists who have mastered the use of the pottery wheel.
E. An examination of the surface of the urn fragments has revealed traces of an iron oxide called hematite that was a common ingredient of the paint used in the Pueblo rock art found in caves.

Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 am
A should be the answer

CDE are irrelevant

B tells that the pueblos knew about wheel but does not tell whether the urn fragment is the evidence or not.

Only A tells us that...

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:29 am
Tough one!
prachi18oct wrote:During a recent excavation, fragments of a ceremonial urn dating back around 1500 years were discovered in a New Mexico canyon. Prior to this finding, it was believed that the Pueblo tribes who lived in the area around that time made their pottery by hand. However, further investigation revealed that the light brown clay used to create the urn, popularly known as 'golden clay,' could only have been fashioned into an urn with the use of a pottery wheel.

Which of the following, if true, would, together with the information above, provide the best basis for the conclusion that the fragments of the urn are evidence that the Pueblos used the pottery wheel?

A. The remains of a pottery wheel have been unearthed at a Pueblo site in Utah, a finding that predates the discovery of the urn fragments.

Discovery of remains of pottery wheel usually makes us assume that they were used by the people then at Pueblo site. However, it could be possible that they were brought by some other traveler and was left there? Thus, I eliminated.

B. There is undeniable evidence that the Pueblo tribes who lived in the New Mexico area a millennium ago made frequent use of the pottery wheel.

This, IMO, links the two nodes of argument. This confirms that people used the pottery wheel and as per question stem pottery wheel is used to make urn. Thus, I choose B.

C. Flooding can soften the texture of clay to an extent that it can easily be molded by hand, and there is evidence that the now-dry canyon once received a considerable amount of rainfall.

This could have been acted as a weakener if the rainfall part wasn't mentioned. As it is, this option is out of scope.

D. Golden clay is commonly used by modern-day descendants of the Pueblos to create decorative pieces that can only be made by artists who have mastered the use of the pottery wheel.

Question stem is about then artists not about modern day artists. Thus, out of scope.

E. An examination of the surface of the urn fragments has revealed traces of an iron oxide called hematite that was a common ingredient of the paint used in the Pueblo rock art found in caves.

This requires additional assumptions that either urns were painted or the paint on cave walls was 1500 years old or both. Thus, incorrect.
I was teared between A and B but finally went with B. What is OA and OE?
Regards,

Pranay

by prachi18oct » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:31 am
OA is however E.
I was confused between A and B. We can rule out A and E on similar reasoning.Still not sure how OA is E.

Can experts please advise.

Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 am
I would disagree with Pranay because option is actually the assumption of the passage. That the wheel was found to be in use by Pueblos is evidence that they had knowledge of the wheel. Now ,how that happened is immaterial. The question asks whether the tribesmen knew about it or not, which they did.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am
prachi18oct wrote:During a recent excavation, fragments of a ceremonial urn dating back around 1500 years were discovered in a New Mexico canyon. Prior to this finding, it was believed that the Pueblo tribes who lived in the area around that time made their pottery by hand. However, further investigation revealed that the light brown clay used to create the urn, popularly known as 'golden clay,' could only have been fashioned into an urn with the use of a pottery wheel.

Premise: THE URN found in a New Mexico canyon could have made only with the use of a pottery wheel.
Conclusion: THE PUEBLOS used the pottery wheel.

The assumption is that THE URN found in the New Mexico canyon was made by THE PUEBLOS.
To strengthen the conclusion, the correct answer choice must strengthen the link between THE URN and THE PUEBLOS.

Answer choice E: An examination of the surface of the urn fragments has revealed traces of an iron oxide called hematite that was a common ingredient of the paint used in the Pueblo rock art found in caves.
E indicates that traces of paint used in PUEBLO ART have been found on THE URN fragments, strengthening the assumption that THE PUEBLOS made THE URN.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KevinLuk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 am
How's the assumption for this question not the Pueblos used the pottery wheel? Is that not what the question is asking at the end or am I missing some type of methodology? Thanks in advance.

-Another Ambitious Guy Starting Out.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:11 am
KevinLuk wrote:How's the assumption for this question not the Pueblos used the pottery wheel? Is that not what the question is asking at the end or am I missing some type of methodology? Thanks in advance.

-Another Ambitious Guy Starting Out.
From the question stem:
the conclusion...that the Pueblos used the pottery wheel.
That the Pueblos used the pottery wheel is not the assumption but the CONCLUSION.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by prachi18oct » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY,

Please refer to my reasoning for elimination and correct me.
GMATGuruNY wrote:

the finding predates the discovery of urn fragments but it is quite possible that the pottery wheel dates back 2000 or more years.In that case, it cannot be said for sure that the wheel was used by pueblos. SOme other tribe may have used it.

Evidence suggests that the pueblo trbe used pottery wheel 1000 years ago but the urn fragments dates to 1500 years so it is quite possible that pueblos used the pottery wheel later and the urn fragments are not evidence that pueblos made it

Not relevant as it does not talks about golden clay

I couldn't find any other reason to eliminate it other than that the option talks about modern day descendants and we need to strengthen that the pueblo tribe used the pottery wheel to make the urn

Isn't it quite plausible that the ingredient in the paint is commonly used and some other tribe may also have used it on the urn. How can this option assure that the urn was made by pueblos ?
Premise: THE URN found in a New Mexico canyon could have made only with the use of a pottery wheel.
Conclusion: THE PUEBLOS used the pottery wheel.

The assumption is that THE URN found in the New Mexico canyon was made by THE PUEBLOS.
To strengthen the conclusion, the correct answer choice must strengthen the link between THE URN and THE PUEBLOS.

Answer choice E: An examination of the surface of the urn fragments has revealed traces of an iron oxide called hematite that was a common ingredient of the paint used in the Pueblo rock art found in caves.
E indicates that traces of paint used in PUEBLO ART have been found on THE URN fragments, strengthening the assumption that THE PUEBLOS made THE URN.

The correct answer is E.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:22 am
prachi18oct wrote: E. An examination of the surface of the urn fragments has revealed traces of an iron oxide called hematite that was a common ingredient of the paint used in the Pueblo rock art found in caves.

Isn't it quite plausible that the ingredient in the paint is commonly used and some other tribe may also have used it on the urn. How can this option assure that the urn was made by pueblos ?
The correct answer choice does not have to PROVE that Pueblos made the urn.
It merely has to STRENGTHEN THE ASSUMPTION that Pueblos made the urn.
E indicates that the urn fragments reveal traces of hematite, an ingredient associated with Pueblo rock art.
Thus, the assumption that Pueblos made the urn is strengthened.

Your reasons for eliminating the other answer choices seem sound.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 am
A tells remains of urn & pottery wheel are founded but they may brought from other location. It is not given then pottery wheel is used to make urn.

B tell frequent use of pottery wheel but it may be to make other utensils.

E tells paint is found in base of urn which is same as of Urn so urn is made on pottery wheel.

Answer is E.