Starting my prep. What's the best strategy? (See CAT score)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi guys,

New here, been lurking for a while. I'm attempting GMAT for the 1st time and have just started my prep. I struggle with quant and after so many years, had totally forgotten all the math and hence finished the Math foundation by Manhattan first. I'm naturally strong with verbal so that wasn't (and isn't) a concern for me. I didn't even touch verbal and went for the GMAT diagnostic test after finishing the foundation math.

I did one of the official GMAT tests and this is my score.

(This was my first ever encounter with the IR section.)

My target score is 700.

The school that I intend to apply to requires a 50th percentile in both quant and verbal. With a little practice, I'm sure I can push the verbal to the 80th. However, it's quant and I that don't sit well together.

It's not that I can't do math. It's just that I've a natural affinity for verbal and it's quite the opposite for math. I have to do quite a few questions of the same type before I master a math concept. I intend to study on my own with books rather than a course.

As for books, I've the latest edition of Manhattan GMAT set of books, along with foundation math and verbal. I have the latest edition of the Official GMAT review guide and 2nd edition Quantitative review and verbal review.

Hence, my specific questions are below:
1. Prep: Should I just follow along with the MGMAT books and after finishing a book, go through the OG problems like the MGMAT books suggest?

2. I have signed up for the Beat The GMAT 60-day course. Should I just follow the method outlined in the daily emails and forgo the above method of following the MGMAT guide book method?

As I said above, I'm naturally strong with verbal and I'm pretty sure I can master the verbal books in 2 weeks or less. It's the quant where I would need additional work until I master it. And I would like to find out the smartest (and fastest) way possible to master it as time is limited. I've given up quite a few significant things and sort of put things in my life on hold to prepare for the GMAT.

I can put in 2 hours of study time daily and about 4-6 hours on weekends.

Looking forward to suggestions from the experts and the folks who have experienced the GMAT before.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:52 am
Hi bikerman,

First off, a 560 is a solid baseline score (the average on the Official GMAT tends to hover around 550).

Your goal (700) is in line with the goal that most people have. The difficulty that most Test Takers face is that book-heavy study is usually not enough to help them achieve their goals. While some bookwork is a logical part of the process (the OG13/GMAT2015 - they're the same book and you should plan to use one of them), your training should emphasize computer-based resources. By working primary with computer-based resources, you'll be working in a format that's in line with the actual exam, so you'll be able to build up some of the essential Test Day skills that working out of a book won't help you to improve.

When it comes to resources, there are plenty of options to choose from. Most GMAT companies offer some type of free resources (practice questions, Trial accounts, etc.) so that you can test out a product before you purchase it. You should take full advantage of these options, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget. One of the many benefits of a GMAT Course (Self-Study or Instructor-Led) is that there's a built-in study plan and structure to the process, so you won't have to think about what to do next.

Of course, much of the improvement that can occur is based on your availability to study.

When is your Official Test Date?
When do you plan to apply to school?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bikerman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm
Hi again! Thanks a lot for your response.

I haven't booked my test yet. I kinda decided to book it once I've got a good grasp of the quant section. However, I intend to appear for the test some time in November.

As for applying, firstly it depends on the GMAT score I get (obviously!). AFter that I've work on my essays, letters and stuff so I don't think I would be able to get them ready in time and might have to apply in the 2015 1st round intake for 2016. However, if somehow I do manage to pull it off, I might apply in the 2nd or 3rd round for next year's session i.e. if I'm lucky.

I've checked out the courses however most of them are too $ for me to afford, at least presently. Given that, my options are somewhat limited. As I said before, I primarily need a strategy for quant and given my constraints, what would be a solid plan and strategy to master it?

Thanks again!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:37 pm
Hi bikerman,

It sounds like you've planned for a few contingencies, which is smart. With a planned November-ish Test Date, you have a solid 2 months of prep time available. It's worth noting that many Test Takers need 3 months (or more) of consistent study to hit their goals, so you might end up making some adjustments to your timeline and plan.

As far as finding a Course that will help you to succeed, many are quite pricey, but there are options for people on a budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]