Spicy

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ningb5757 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:16 am
D is correct

A - wrong subject-verb agreement
B - wrong subject-verb agreement
C - immediately could be eliminated as - like a rise in temperature does - wrong comparison!!!
D - contains additional information, but this answer is the best among others
E - the reason .......because (incorrect GMAT idiom), they could be refer to either people or foods

Thus D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by davidfrank » Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 am
I think I have a concept misunderstanding. Please clarify. As far as I understand the subject cannot be in the subordinate clause. Here foods is followed by that which is a subordinate clause. I thought the main subject is "the reason". Can you please explain this so that I avoid this mistake again.
e-GMAT wrote:
caakash1430 wrote:Looking at all posts i m still confused on the answer...

What is the correct answer...D or E?

D Clearly adds Tongue as an extra piece of info not mentioned in Original sentence shouldn't it be discarded???
The correct answer should be D. Since the confusion is between D and E, I will focus compare these two choices only.

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature.

E is incorrect because of redundancy issue. E uses the structure - The reason for xyz is because abc. Clearly this is incorrect because the reason is not because of abc. The correct construction is:

1: xyz is because of abc. OR
2: the reason for xyz is abc.

Choice D corrects this error and uses the second construction. Now you are correct in saying that "on the tongue" is introduced in choice D. However, I believe this is really a typographical error. Most likely when the writers were creating this question, they may have included "on the tongue" in all the answer choices in some previous versions. But as they revised their questions, they may have missed to delete this from this choice D. GMAT typically never introduces errors in SC by introducing a new phrase in one of the choices. It may reword complete sentences but just adding a prepositional phrase is not at all likely. :)

Thanks,

Payal

by Gala_Sa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 pm
In my opinion the right answer is E.

by Gala_Sa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 am
The right answer in my opinion is E.

Because "The reason.... is because they contain....that stimulates....as does a rise in temperature"

by chirpy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 am
E is the correct answer.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajeshsinghgmat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 am

by jithinraj » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm
E.
Comparatively better, unless for the redundancy.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ndqv » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm
1st split: "as does a rise in temperature" vs others
"like a rise in temperature" is vague, whereas "like a rise in temperature does" is grammatically wrong.
=> cross out B & C
2nd split: "is because" vs "is that"
"is because" is redundant

Choose D

by milindmassey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:48 pm

by leekaru14 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:29 am
The answer is Choice B.
The main problem of this question is the unclear subject. We have "spicy foods" and "some people" in the first clause. In the second clause, the sentence use "they". We don't know if this "they" indicates to "spicy foods" or "some people".
Therefore, we can eliminate choice A, C and E.
Between B and D, choice D looks seemingly ok but it's not because it added the phrase: "on the tongue" which was not mentioned in original sentence. So I think it's gonna be B.

by KylieAquino87 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:04 am
Does anyone actually know what the answer is? I initially went with E, but I've heard some compelling arguments for D...

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am
KylieAquino87 wrote:Does anyone actually know what the answer is? I initially went with E, but I've heard some compelling arguments for D...
Cannot be {E}

e. The reason that certain spicy foods, such as the Habanero pepper, make some people sweat is because they contain a chemical that stimulates the same nerves in the mouth as does a rise in temperature
"because" usage is redundant

[spoiler]{D}[/spoiler] is the correct answer
R A H U L

by zhaseeb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm
What is the official answer?

I went through all the pages and couldn't find it. I had E.

Can someone give us the OA???

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:08 pm
zhaseeb wrote:What is the official answer?

I went through all the pages and couldn't find it. I had E.

Can someone give us the OA???
OA is [spoiler]{D}[/spoiler]; it is posted along with the question.
R A H U L

GMAT Score:590

by sansulee » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:15 am
Hi,

I am confused between C and D.

I have eliminated A and B based on the use of "make", when it should actually be "makes".
E is definitely out as "the reason" and "because" in the same sentence seem redundant.

I some how also think D could be the answer. But the option includes an additional term- "tongue" as against what is mentioned in the underlined part of the original sentence. But, I am not sure that change is allowed on the GMAT.

Can someone explain why "like a rise in temperature does" is wrong?

Look forward to knowing the correct answer.

Thanks!
Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.