Speed and distance Problem 3

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Speed and distance Problem 3

by aditiniyer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 am
Stephanie,Regina & Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie & Regina's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. if nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

1) Stephanie
2) Regine
3) Brian

a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Only 1 and 2
d) 1,2 or 3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:15 am
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

I. Stephanie
II. Regine
III. Brian

A. I only
B. II only
C. III
D. only I or II only
E. I, II, or III
Whenever a problem gives you an upper or lower limit, plug in the limit in order to see how the problem is constrained.

In this problem, our upper limit is 8mph. No one is allowed to have a faster rate.

Let's start with Brian. Let's say that he wins by running at the fastest allowed speed of 8 mph.

Time = Distance/Rate

Brian's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.

Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours: This means Stephanie and Regine's combined time would be 2.5 + 2 = 4.5 hours.

In this case, the upper limit for Stephanie and Regine also is 8mph. Neither can run faster because we want Brian to win. Let's see what happens when Stephanie and Regine each run at 8mph.

Stephanie's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.
Regine's time would be 20/8 = 2.5 hours.
Their combined time would be 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 hours.

Too much, because we need their combined time to be 4.5 hours.

But the only way for their combined time to be 4.5 hours is if they run faster. But they can't run faster because we want Brian to win.

So Brian can't win by going at the maximum rate of 8mph.

If Brian goes slower, the situation gets worse:

Let's say Brian runs at 5 mph.

Brian's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.

This means Stephanie and Regine's combined time would be 4 + 2 = 6 hours.

In this case, the upper limit for Stephanie and Regine is 5mph. Neither can run faster because we want Brian to win. Let's see what happens when Stephanie and Regine each run at 5mph.

Stephanie's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.
Regine's time would be 20/5 = 4 hours.
Their combined time would be 4 + 4 = 8 hours.

Too much, because we need their combined time to be 6 hours.

But the only way for their combined time to be 6 hours is if they run faster. But they can't run faster because we want Brian to win.

So we're stuck. Brian can't win, poor guy.
Eliminate any answer choice that includes Brian (C and E).
The correct answer must be A, B, or D.

"None" is not included among the answer choices, so we know that someone must be able to win. The problem makes no distinction between Stephanie and Regine; we know information only about their combined time. If Stephanie can win, why couldn't Regine? If Regine can win, why couldn't Stephanie? So either must be able to win.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:44 am
aditiniyer wrote:Stephanie,Regina & Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie & Regina's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. if nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

I. Stephanie
II. Regine
III. Brian

A. I only
B. II only
C. III
D. only I or II only
E. I, II, or III

Taking Mitch's redrafted options.
Since there is no discrimination between Stephanie & Regina, either's fate would be the other's fate. Either both win or both lose. Thus, the correct option would be one among C, D, or E.

Let's first make Brian win the race. So, let him run at the maximum speed of 8 mph. This would take him 20/8 = 2.5 hrs.

Let the times taken by Stephanie, Regina, and Brian are S, R, and B. This would mean that S < B and R < B.

We are given that:

S + R - B = 2.

Let S = R, thus 2S - B = 2

=> 2S - 2.5 = 2

=> S = 2.25 hrs.

Thus, speed of Stephanie and Regina = 20/2.25 = ~9 mph > 8 mph. But this is not possible on two accounts: 1. S > B and 2. speed > 8 mph.

Even if we decrease the speed of Brian a bit, time taken by Brian cannot be less than Stephanie or Regina. Thus, Brian cannot win. Options C and E are ruled out.

Correct answer: D

-Jay

Book of the day: Manhattan Review GMAT Word Problems

Locations: New York | Bangkok | Abu Dhabi | Rome | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aditiniyer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:51 am
@GMATGuruNY thanks a ton! :) That was extremely lucid !