Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Some questions from GMAT Prep - please help

This topic has 2 expert replies and 18 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next
Some questions from GMAT Prep - please help Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    1) If x<0 , what is square root of -x|x|

    I thought if x<0, |x| = -x
    THerefore square root becomes the root of x^2 which is + or - x

    I wrote the answer as x but the GMAT Prep says that answer is -x. How???

    2) Data Sufficiency:

    Is 1/p > r/(r^2 + 2)

    1) p=r
    2) r=0

    Please help with this too

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    dsuna Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Joined
    17 Mar 2007
    Posted:
    14 messages
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 am
    momentary_lapse wrote:
    1) If x<0 , what is square root of -x|x|

    I thought if x<0, |x| = -x
    THerefore square root becomes the root of x^2 which is + or - x

    I wrote the answer as x but the GMAT Prep says that answer is -x. How???

    2) Data Sufficiency:

    Is 1/p > r/(r^2 + 2)

    1) p=r
    2) r=0

    Please help with this too

    Thanks a lot in advance!
    1.) X<0, let's say x= -2, then square root of -x|x| = square root of -(-2)*|-2| = square root of -(-2)(-2) =square root of -4 = -2, hence solution is -x

    2.) is the answer D?

    r^2+2 > pr
    r^2-pr+2>0

    1. p=r then r^2-r^2+2>0, 2>0, sufficient
    2. r=0 then 0-0+2>0, 2>0, sufficient

    the answer should be D

    jayhawk2001 Community Manager
    Joined
    28 Jan 2007
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    25 times
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:55 am
    For question 2 --

    1 - insufficient. For p = r = 2, we have 1/2 > 1/3 which is true.
    For p = r = -2, we have -1/2 > -1/3 which is not true.

    2 - insufficient. We just have 1/p > 0

    Combining 1 and 2, we have p = r = 0 which leads us nowhere.

    Is it E ?

    aim-wsc GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Apr 2006
    Posted:
    2470 messages
    Followed by:
    13 members
    Thanked:
    81 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    801-
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:47 pm
    give one more try @DS guys Wink

    _________________
    Getting started @BTG?
    Beginner's Guide to GMAT | Beating GMAT & beyond
    Please do not PM me, (not active anymore) contact Eric.

    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:31 pm
    The answer to 2 is C. The first equation is insufficient since the inequality sign will change based on negative and positive values of r. The second one makes it clear by saying that r is +ve and p=r i.e. the equation will hold good.

    For the first one, if x = -2 then suare root of -x|x| = -(-2)|-2|
    which is = 2|-2| = 2*2 = 4 and square root is + or -2 .

    How can the square root of a negative number be a negative number. It should be imaginery.

    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:35 pm
    However the GMAT prep gave the options as -x,x,1,0 and square root of x. The answer is also supposed to be -x. How?? I just cant figure it out.

    aim-wsc GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Apr 2006
    Posted:
    2470 messages
    Followed by:
    13 members
    Thanked:
    81 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    801-
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:10 pm
    present the original answer, what GMATprep has to say.
    and do check the announcement made at sub-forums.
    Thanks for the patience. explanation
    is on the way Smile

    _________________
    Getting started @BTG?
    Beginner's Guide to GMAT | Beating GMAT & beyond
    Please do not PM me, (not active anymore) contact Eric.

    jayhawk2001 Community Manager
    Joined
    28 Jan 2007
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    25 times
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:48 pm
    [quote="momentary_lapse"]The answer to 2 is C. The first equation is insufficient since the inequality sign will change based on negative and positive values of r. The second one makes it clear by saying that r is +ve and p=r i.e. the equation will hold good.

    [/quote]

    Hmm, (2) just leads to 1/p > 0. However, if you combine
    1 and 2, you get p = r = 0.

    One can't cross-multiply this inequality when p = r = 0.
    1/p > r/(r^2 + 2)

    The question hence boils down to the following
    Is 1/ 0 > 0 / (0 + 2)

    I'm still not fully convinced that C is the correct answer but I guess
    GMAT Prep answer is the final answer Smile

    Neo2000 GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    27 Jan 2007
    Posted:
    519 messages
    Thanked:
    30 times
    Test Date:
    30/09
    Target GMAT Score:
    710
    Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:50 pm
    momentary_lapse wrote:
    1) If x<0 , what is square root of -x|x|

    I thought if x<0, |x| = -x
    THerefore square root becomes the root of x^2 which is + or - x
    You were fine till here. Then since we said in the very beginning that X<0
    solution set CANNOT contain +X
    Therefore your answer is -X

    Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:28 am
    Neo,

    If x = -2 then the square root of X^2 is + or -2 right? Because x^2 is 4 and whether x is < 0 or > 0 the square root of a +ve number can be either the +ve root or the -ve root.

    What does the value of x have to do with this? Lets say x=-2, then the answer is -x which is -(-2) = 2. This defeats the reasoning you are giving saying that x < 0 therefore the answer should be -x.

    Neo2000 GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    27 Jan 2007
    Posted:
    519 messages
    Thanked:
    30 times
    Test Date:
    30/09
    Target GMAT Score:
    710
    Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 am
    momentary_lapse wrote:
    Neo,

    If x = -2 then the square root of X^2 is + or -2 right? Because x^2 is 4 and whether x is < 0 or > 0 the square root of a +ve number can be either the +ve root or the -ve root.
    Yup the root can be either positive or negative. However, since we said X is <0 then we cannot have a value of X>0 which means the answer has to be -2

    momentary_lapse wrote:
    What does the value of x have to do with this? Lets say x=-2, then the answer is -x which is -(-2) = 2. This defeats the reasoning you are giving saying that x < 0 therefore the answer should be -x.
    My reasoning was as follows
    Modulus function always give the positive value/max value/magnitude of X

    Since X<0, value of X is negative say -y
    Then -(-y)|-y|
    = y(y) = y^2

    So square root of this becomes +or- y
    However we've already said that X<0 which means X cannot have a positive value so the value has to be -y

    gabriel GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    20 Dec 2006
    Posted:
    986 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    51 times
    Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:36 am
    jayhawk2001 wrote:
    Hmm, (2) just leads to 1/p > 0. However, if you combine
    1 and 2, you get p = r = 0.

    One can't cross-multiply this inequality when p = r = 0.
    1/p > r/(r^2 + 2)

    The question hence boils down to the following
    Is 1/ 0 > 0 / (0 + 2)

    I'm still not fully convinced that C is the correct answer but I guess
    GMAT Prep answer is the final answer Smile
    jay u r right according to the given statements... the answer shuld be E... even if both the staements are combined we wuld get ( as already stated by u ).... 1/0 and 0/ ( 0+2 )... and 1/0 is mathematically not defined....

    the second statment is actually r>0.... by using this we get the answer as C...

    gabriel GMAT Destroyer!
    Joined
    20 Dec 2006
    Posted:
    986 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Thanked:
    51 times
    Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:53 am
    momentary_lapse wrote:
    However the GMAT prep gave the options as -x,x,1,0 and square root of x. The answer is also supposed to be -x. How?? I just cant figure it out.
    Ok.. the q asks to find the sq root ( -x mod (x))= sq root ( -x )* sq root ((mod(x)) = sq root (-x)* sq root(-x)... let this be eqn no. 1....

    .. for understanding this u need to know the basics of complex numbers... the root of a negative qty -x can be written as sqroot (x)* sqroot (-1)... so applying this to eqn 1.... we get sqroot (x)*sqroot(-1) * sqroot(x)*sqroot(-1) .... that is sqroot (x)*sqroot(x)*sqroot(-1)*sqroot(-1)... which is equal to -x...

    so basically sqroot ( (-x)^2) = -x..... similarly sqroot (-a) * sqroot(-b) is not equal to sqroot(ab)... but is equal to - sqroot(ab)... hope this helps...

    Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 am
    Well the questions says square root of (-x|x|) where x<0

    So it seems to be asking for the square root of the product of -x and |x|

    Im not sure how square root of (-x)(-x) is -x

    Which property of complex numbers is this?

    aim-wsc GMAT Titan
    Joined
    20 Apr 2006
    Posted:
    2470 messages
    Followed by:
    13 members
    Thanked:
    81 times
    Target GMAT Score:
    801-
    Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 am
    gabriel wrote:
    Ok.. the q asks to find the sq root ( -x mod (x))= sq root ( -x )* sq root ((mod(x)) = sq root (-x)* sq root(-x)... let this be eqn no. 1....

    .. for understanding this u need to know the basics of complex numbers... the root of a negative qty -x can be written as sqroot (x)* sqroot (-1)... so applying this to eqn 1.... we get sqroot (x)*sqroot(-1) * sqroot(x)*sqroot(-1) .... that is sqroot (x)*sqroot(x)*sqroot(-1)*sqroot(-1)... which is equal to -x...

    so basically sqroot ( (-x)^2) = -x..... similarly sqroot (-a) * sqroot(-b) is not equal to sqroot(ab)... but is equal to - sqroot(ab)... hope this helps...
    wow!
    but dont make it complex by bringing complex numbers here! Laughing
    even by hearing the word I almost got an heart attack there Wink


    OK let me try 8)
    Quote:
    1) If x<0 , what is square root of -x|x|

    I thought if x<0, |x| = -x
    THerefore square root becomes the root of x^2 which is + or - x

    I wrote the answer as x but the GMAT Prep says that answer is -x. How???
    first off: |x| CANNOT BE equal to -x (never)

    now -x|x| = (-1)* (x) * mod (x).............(remember x has -ve value already! since x<0) so let x= (-1)* x' where x'= (+ve) x

    =(-1)* (-1)x' * x'
    = (-1)^2 * x'^2
    I think it is very easy to sq rooting above value.
    which equals to =(-1)* x'
    =-x

    _________________
    Getting started @BTG?
    Beginner's Guide to GMAT | Beating GMAT & beyond
    Please do not PM me, (not active anymore) contact Eric.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 abhasjha 41 topics
    2 shibsriz@gmail.com 32 topics
    3 phanikpk 20 topics
    4 prernamalhotra 13 topics
    5 qwerty12321 11 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    177 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    168 posts
    3 image description ceilidh.erickson

    Manhattan GMAT Teacher

    47 posts
    4 image description CriticalSquareMBA

    Critical Square

    40 posts
    5 image description lunarpower

    Manhattan GMAT Teacher

    29 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts