some help regarding school selection

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

some help regarding school selection

by k_k007 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:54 am
Hello,
I would kindly request you to evaluate my profile and give an idea about my chances of getting into the schools I am targeting at.

GMAT-720 (Q50, V37)
GPA- 3.1 from Top 10 college of India and best mining college in Asia and got into it through IIT exam
25 Male from India
2 years of work experience at Fortune 500 company and most reputed in India by brand value
Sector is mining
Designation- Manager
Role
-to explore and develop new IT based solutions in mining sector which is very conventional in India and 50-100 years back from current International level.
-to introduce mine planning and scheduling system which is the most critical part of mining process which is not followed at all in India
-to work in critical projects of company involving huge investment.
-to work as consultant on projects involving new technology and with international clients.
-also worked side by side in mining operations to understand all the process.

Achievements
-Have done so many projects and some are first time in mining Industry in India on my own and managed everything
-Have introduced mine planning and scheduling system in my company and changed it to IT based which was completely manual before.
-Managed cross functional and cross location team of 10-20 people.
-Worked with international clients from Australia, Poland, South Africa, South Korea, China
-Work on critical projects involving huge investments like Rs1380 millions.
-Have also 22 month experience of mining operations.
-trained in latest and widely used mining and project development software.
-All my projects is going to save my company Rs 25-30 crores every year when fully implemented.
-Have knowledge of not only mining but all the related operations being done at my company.
-Worked with higher and lower management and dealt with problem of labor unions too.
-has worked in the toughest conditions of mining

Extra Curricular
-was involved with NGO in my school days fro 4 years.
-working in NGO movement started by my own company.
-Done trekking and climbed peaks in Himalayas.
-Was awarded full scholarship in college.
-Organized many cultural and technical fest at college level.
-involved in Stepathalon at present.
-Winner of National and International Olympaid and topper at stat level.
-French Language Basic level.
-Play drums and learned on my own and performed for national news in my school days.
-Part of world renowned Super 30 team (all channels like Discovery, NAt Geo, Al Jazeera have made documentary on it) where poor Kids are given free education to get into IIT college
-completed 2000 km bike ride on my royal en-field this year in Himalayas which are the world toughest road and rode on the worlds highest motor able road.

Short term Goals
-to get into ccompany offering jobs related to business development, strategy, consulting
Long term Goals
-Heading some big company and trying to brig more and more companies and investments in India to tap the huge potential in India especially rural India.
-play a role of policy maker for matters related to energy for India

Target Schools
-Harward, Standford, Kellogg, Duke, McCombs, Haas, Darden, Tepper, Cornell, Tuck, Yale
Applying R2 2014
Scholarship important if possible
My question is that are these college achievable or what are my chances? Can you suggest any other college which i should apply to?

Regards
k_k007

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:41 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have some very elite programs on your list and have a good profile but your GPA will be seen as a red flag. I would say the first half of your list will be tough for you as these schools are very selective particularly with GPAs. I would say to make yourself more competitive at these school you really have to focus on differentiating yourself. Describing your accomplishments at work will not be enough. I would really focus on highlighting your interests outside of school/work and some of your successful examples of your interpersonal skills. This will better allow you to tell a compelling story particularly given your competitive set.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by k_k007 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 am
Thanks Dozie,
Your comments will help me a lot and are really valuable to me. Since waiting for 1 more year is not an option for me and If I am able to highlight my interpersonal skills and I have a strong backing and story for my Low GPA, what would you say then about my chances in the elite group which you are talking about. (just consider Kellogg, Duke , McCombs, Darden). Can you please comment on this.
Do I have a better chance at the colleges such as Haas, Tepper, Cornell, Tuck, Yale based on my profile ?
Do you like to add any other college to the list?

Regards
k_k007

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:06 am
I still think Kellogg will be tough for you but assuming you knock out the other aspects of your profile Duke should be in play. The remaining schools which is a big list should be schools you should be able to compete in. With these schools I would say you're far more competitive but you should make sue you are expressing a clear fit story where applicable and expressing interest. With these schools your interest will go a long way so make sure you make it clear this is where you want to be!

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by k_k007 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 am
Hi Dozie,
Its a great help. I was not much confident about the list and my chances. But your comments have boosted my confidence. Thanks once again. I will be in touch with you.

Regards
k_k007