sir joseph

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:@ GMATGuruNY - could you please shed more light that on GMAT, HOW MANY and WHAT ARE the noun + noun modifiers an Absolute phrase can consist of ?
There is no constraint on the number of modifiers.
It is common for an absolute phrase to included a participle (VERBed or VERBing).
That said, virtually any type of modifier may be included in an absolute phrase.
Also, in GMAT is there any other way in which noun + noun modifiers can be used OR is Absolute phrase the ONLY way we can see them in GMAT ?
There are three primary usages:
APPOSITIVE
ABSOLUTE PHRASE
SUMMATIVE MODIFIER.

To find examples of these modifiers, please use the BTG search bar.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:03 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - couple of quick confirmations required on the type of MODIFIER Construction in the two following sentences.
GMATGuruNY wrote: Option A: His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
his campaign = possessive + noun
So, this is a "NOUN+NOUN modifier" construction in which the NOUN modifier is a Prepositional phrase - for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful. (And the NOUN part is his campaign). Right ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Other SC: Her eyes wide with excitement
her eyes = possessive + noun
So, this is ALSO a "NOUN+NOUN modifier" construction in which the NOUN modifier is a Adjectival phrase - wide with excitement. (And the NOUN part is her eyes ). Right ?

Look forward to your feedback.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:20 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY - couple of quick confirmations required on the type of MODIFIER Construction in the two following sentences.
GMATGuruNY wrote: Option A: His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
his campaign = possessive + noun
So, this is a "NOUN+NOUN modifier" construction in which the NOUN modifier is a Prepositional phrase - for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful. (And the NOUN part is his campaign). Right ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Other SC: Her eyes wide with excitement
her eyes = possessive + noun
So, this is ALSO a "NOUN+NOUN modifier" construction in which the NOUN modifier is a Adjectival phrase - wide with excitement. (And the NOUN part is her eyes ). Right ?

Look forward to your feedback.
An absolute phrase is essentially a VERBLESS clause: a clause in which the verb is omitted.
To understand more clearly how the modifiers in an absolute phrase are functioning, rephrase it as a sentence by adding a form of to be.

Option A, rephrased as a sentence:
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms was finally successful.
Other SC, rephrased as a sentence:
Her eyes were wide with excitement.

In each case, the portion in red is an ADJECTIVE PHRASE serving to describe the noun phrase in blue.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

A) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful

B) Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful

C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms

D) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful

E) Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms
There is no causal relationship being expressed in the original sentence. Sir Joseph did not lend his name because of the success of the campaign. Eliminate B and C because each expresses a causal relationship that changes the intended meaning of the sentence.

In E, campaigning implies -- incorrectly -- that Sir Lester lent his name AS he was campaigning. Sir Lester lent his name AFTER the campaign. Eliminate E.

Between A and D, D is longer and uses being incorrectly and unnecessarily. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Hi GMATGuruNY - a quick question on the ERRORS in B and C.

Apart from what you mentioned above, I think, another issue in BOTH B and C seems to be using eventual/eventually while expressing causal relation through BECAUSE/SINCE. Isn't this CONSTRUCTION BIT weird ?

Also,in B, usage of PAST PERFECT (re had been) is unnecessary, I guess. Right ?

Thoughts please!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:29 am
PLS, HELP,
I CAN NOT READ THE SCREED, THERE IS A BIG BAND UNDER THE SCREED FOR ADVERTISEMENT, WHICH MAKE ME UNABLE TO READ

ADMINISTRATOR, PLS HELP
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758

by ngk4mba3236 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:36 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

A) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful

B) Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful

C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms

D) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful

E) Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms
There is no causal relationship being expressed in the original sentence. Sir Joseph did not lend his name because of the success of the campaign. Eliminate B and C because each expresses a causal relationship that changes the intended meaning of the sentence.

In E, campaigning implies -- incorrectly -- that Sir Lester lent his name AS he was campaigning. Sir Lester lent his name AFTER the campaign. Eliminate E.

Between A and D, D is longer and uses being incorrectly and unnecessarily. Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
gmatguru,
while I understand your above analysis, please let me know whether the followings also constitute error in answer choice B & C ?

for B: Since his campaign...had been eventually -- seems to be an ungrammatical awkward construction!

for C: Because of the eventual success... -- similar reason as mentioned above!

are these reasons also correct ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:52 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:gmatguru,
while I understand your above analysis, please let me know whether the followings also constitute error in answer choice B & C ?

for B: Since his campaign...had been eventually -- seems to be an ungrammatical awkward construction!

This line of reasoning seems too vague.
The structures in B and C are grammatically sound.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

This line of reasoning seems too vague.
The structures in B and C are grammatically sound.
ok! thanks for correcting me.

however, I'd like to elaborate a bit to get clear understanding of such nuances -

* my reasoning was any sentence that starts with SINCE or BECAUSE indicating a causal relation is basically the CAUSE part of the causal relation.

* anything that follows "eventually" or "eventual" seems to be the EFFECT part of the causal relation. am I correct ?

so, could you please let me know that from this logic how the above two sentences in RED make sense ? (it appears to me that both the CAUSE and the EFFECT sense are merged into single sentence!)

curious to know your thoughts.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:01 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:* my reasoning was any sentence that starts with SINCE or BECAUSE indicating a causal relation is basically the CAUSE part of the causal relation.

* anything that follows "eventually" or "eventual" seems to be the EFFECT part of the causal relation. am I correct ?
eventual means at the end of a long process or period of time.
B conveys the following meaning:
Since his campaign had been successful after a long process...
C conveys the following meaning:
Because of the success that occurred at the end of a long process...
The usage of eventually or eventual does not imply causality.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:45 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:eventual means at the end of a long process or period of time.
ok. so,above explanations are true for any usage of eventually or eventual in GMAT SC and it'll never express causality in GMAT SC.

did I get you right ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:eventual means at the end of a long process or period of time.
ok. so,above explanations are true for any usage of eventually or eventual in GMAT SC and it'll never express causality in GMAT SC.

did I get you right ?
Correct.
eventual does not serve to express causality.
Eventually, John was successful.
Conveyed meaning:
After a long process, John was successful.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:38 pm
gmatguru,
is past perfect tense (had been) required in option B ?

it seems to be redundant here, I guess!

thoughts ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:06 am

thoughts ?
I would not eliminate B because of the usage of the past perfect.

Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign had been successful.
Here, the campaign is successful BEFORE Sir Lester lends his name.

Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign was successful.
Here, the campaign is successful and Sir Lester lends his name AT THE SAME TIME.

Either sequence seems viable.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

thoughts ?
This line of reasoning is valid.
In B, there is no justification for the usage of the past perfect.
gmatguru,
can you please shed some light that when past perfect tense is considered correct in a causal sentence using "because" or "since" and when incorrect in GMAT ? (it seems to be somewhat confusing at times)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:57 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote: gmatguru,
can you please shed some light that when past perfect tense is considered correct in a causal sentence using "because" or "since" and when incorrect in GMAT ? (it seems to be somewhat confusing at times)
I've revised my post above.
I would not eliminate B because of its usage of the past perfect.
For an explanation, please check the revised post.

An OA with because + past perfect is discussed -- at length -- by you and others here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-question- ... 84700.html

An incorrect answer choice with since + past perfect can be found here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/less-than-35 ... 35089.html
In this SC, however, since does not serve to express causality.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3