Similar statements - CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Similar statements - CR

by karthikpandian19 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 pm
A recurring account in a commercial bank is a great investment because it allows a person to accumulate a large sum over a period of time. All people who have become wealthy through their investments have invested in a recurring account.

Which of the following employs reasoning most similar to the one above?

(A) This quadrilateral may be a rectangle because quadrilaterals and rectangles have many properties in common. For one, all rectangles are quadrilaterals but all quadrilaterals are not rectangles.

(B) Training wheels on a bicycle typically do more harm than good because they make it harder for a child to learn to ride a bike. Training wheels provide too much support and thereby make it very difficult for a child to develop a sense of balance.

(C) Algebra is a valuable subject because it helps you to score high on the GMAT quantitative section. All those who know algebra well score highly in the quantitative section of the GMAT.

(D) Penicillin is a useful drug because it helps cure many diseases. Penicillin kills the bacteria that cause these diseases.

(E) The hit-and-run approach in the game of cricket is ineffective because the teams who use it usually lose. Coaches ask the players to refrain from using the hit-and-run technique.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 pm
(C) for me.

by confuse mind » Thu May 10, 2012 2:05 am
None for me !

I would have gone for had it been re-framed as:

(C) Algebra is a valuable subject because it helps you to score high on the GMAT quantitative section. All those who have scored highly in the quantitative section of the GMAT knew algebra well .

Experts, help please!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 am
The pattern in the stimulus is cause-and-effect. The cause is a recurring account and the end result is wealth. It then says that every time the effect has occurred (all people who have become wealthy), then the cause has occurred as well.

A--no cause-and-effect

B--does not follow the pattern.

C--closest, but does not follow the second part. If we use confuse mind's change, then it works.

D--does not follow the pattern.

E--does not follow the pattern.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 pm
OA is C
Last edited by karthikpandian19 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by thestartupguy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 am
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:The pattern in the stimulus is cause-and-effect. The cause is a recurring account and the end result is wealth. It then says that every time the effect has occurred (all people who have become wealthy), then the cause has occurred as well.

A--no cause-and-effect

B--does not follow the pattern.

C--closest, but does not follow the second part. If we use confuse mind's change, then it works.

D--does not follow the pattern.

E--does not follow the pattern.
Hi Bill,
I always fumble with the Method of Reasoning type questions. Could you please tell me what are the different possible types of reasoning (like in this case, cause-and-effect), which will help me to find the pattern more easily?
Thanks!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sandeep_thaparianz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 am
C fits the best here

Followed by:1 members

by binit » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:26 pm
Hi experts,

I could solve it correctly because I traced an 'example' in the second part of the Qn stem. Same thing found in the Choice (C). Still it took me nearly 1 min 45 sec. Can anyone pls tell me some time saving way to solve Qns like these??

Thanks in advance.

~Binit.