Should I start with verbal first or quant?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
After taking a few months off to refocus on getting my goals together, I'm eager to start my studies over and be consistent with it this time. Would it be best to study one particular area for a couple of weeks and then switch to another area (quant or verbal) or would it be best to simultaneously study both areas. I've gotten so many different responses but would just like to know which method is more effective. My weakest area is quant by the way. If that helps any :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat May 09, 2015 2:39 pm
Hi aluniquesmith,

I've never been a fan of an "all of one, then all of the other" approach to studying for the GMAT. It's important to build up knowledge and ability in both the Quant and Verbal sections concurrently; in that way, there's constant 'maintainance' of your skills. You don't necessarily have to study both Quant and Verbal every day, but intermixing the subjects on a regular basis would likely benefit you in the long run.

I'm curious about the prior studies that you mentioned:

1) What resources did you use?
2) Did you end up taking the GMAT (and if so, then how did you score)?
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by aluniquesmith » Sat May 09, 2015 2:50 pm
Hi Rich,

I started a management trainee program with a new company and the demands and rigor of that program has caused me to be inconsistent with my studies and hence the GMAT took a back seat to everything else. I didn't take the GMAT but my goal score is a score of 700. I'm planning to take the GMAT in September because I want to apply to business school in 2016. I currently have the MGMAT books, the OG books (13th edition) and the Kaplan books. Any other resources that you can suggest? I'm basically starting from scratch again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat May 09, 2015 2:57 pm
Hi aluniquesmith,

The resources that you've listed are all books. Test Takers who use a "book-heavy" study approach often have trouble scoring 700+, so you might need to invest in some additional resources. A September Test Date gives you plenty of time to study though.

Since you're just beginning again, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

Rich

by aluniquesmith » Sat May 09, 2015 3:07 pm
Hi Rich,

I took a GMATPrep test when I first started my studies last year and scored an embarrassingly low score of 350. That really deterred me and made me quit for a bit. This has always been my goal and after refocusing, I'm ready to now put my all into this exam and completely dedicate all my time and resources to passing this exam and getting into a top school. Math has always tripped me up and I know that's part of the reason for such a low score. Essentially, I panicked. This is why I gave myself enough time to take the GMAT this time around but I do need some guidance. I've been browsing these forums and trying to come up with a detailed, effective study plan for the next few months. I'm also willing to take an online course that won't break the bank. I'm in the Caribbean so I'm unable to get any classes or live tutoring. The GMAT isn't a well-known test here. Any suggestions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat May 09, 2015 6:17 pm
Hi aluniquesmith,

The Quant section of the GMAT is not, strictly speaking, a "math test." While you will need math knowledge and you'll do a variety of math calculations, that section of the GMAT is far more about tactics, pattern-matching, critical thinking, etc. than you probably realize.

If your basic math skills are rusty/weak, then you might want to spend some time building up those skills before you start your GMAT studies. I suggest that you spend a bit of time at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org) on the Algebra, Arithmetic and Geometry material there. The site is free and the training is more 'game-like' and fun than a traditional, dry math class would be.

As far as GMAT Courses are concerned, there are LOTS of different options (and they're not all expensive), so you should plan on doing a bit of research into the various options. Most GMAT companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.), so that you can 'test out' a product before you buy it (we have a variety of free resources at www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Rich

by aluniquesmith » Sun May 10, 2015 4:44 pm
Hi Rich,

I'm scanning those resources right now and will definitely take your advice. I'll definitely build up my math skills before diving into my prep studies with the website you suggested. I appreciate your help.