Should I retake the GMAT?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I retake the GMAT?

by afrothunderz92 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm
I received a 660 overall, with a 46 quantitative, 35 verbal, and 8 integrated reasoning, I had a 3.78 undergrad gpa and 4 years working with a Big 4 accounting firm. Is it worth it to try and get a 700 or do I still have a decent chance of getting into MBA program like Stanfords, Harvards etc. etc.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 am
Hello afrothundrz92. First, congratulations on your GMAT score. Your score puts you in the 80th percentile, which is very good: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hub ... sting.aspx

As for your question about retaking, you might be interested in a recent blog post we wrote about that very topic. Although average score increases among repeat test-takers are usually modest, students who did not prepare thoroughly the first time around, did not finish the exam, or experience exam-day anxiety may see increases on their test scores the second time around: https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-blog-hub ... sting.aspx

As for your question about admissions to specific programs, you would need to talk to the admissions staff in those programs, as each school has its own admissions criteria. In general, schools consider your GMAT score as only one part of a total application so your GPA and work experience will also be a factor.

Good luck!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!