Should I retake?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Should I retake?

by DasItMayne » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 am
Hi,I took gmat today and scored 690 (q47,v38,IR5).I am dissappointed with my quant score.My quant score in practise tests was always 50,51.Should I retake?
I'm looking to apply to schools such as Mcgill and concordia (msc).
Don't have work experience,average extra curricular,above average gpa.
I believe I can score better.Is it worth to retake if I can increase it to,like 720-730?
P.S It was my first attempt.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 am
DasItMayne wrote:Hi,I took gmat today and scored 690 (q47,v38,IR5).I am dissappointed with my quant score.My quant score in practise tests was always 50,51.Should I retake?
I'm looking to apply to schools such as Mcgill and concordia (msc).
Don't have work experience,average extra curricular,above average gpa.
I believe I can score better.Is it worth to retake if I can increase it to,like 720-730?
P.S It was my first attempt.
Yeah. Your score is very solid, and you may well get in to those programs with a 690, but if you underperformed your practice tests, I see no reason not to give the test another shot. (One more perk - if you have an unusually good exam day, there's the possibility of getting scholarship money too.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

Should I retake?

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 am
Hi DasItMayne,

First off, a 690/Q47 is a fantastic score (it's a bit below the 90th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Since you know which Schools you want to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba- ... t-f40.html

In a series of prior posts, you had written about the challenges you were having in the Quant section, so it is NOT accurate to say that your Quant scores were "always" Q50/Q51. Based on the Q47, you clearly missed some 'gettable' questions on Test Day. At higher and higher scoring levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes - if you make too many of those mistakes, then a Q50+ score simply becomes impossible to achieve. If you do choose to retake, then you really have to work on the 'precision' in your work - otherwise you could end up with a similar score again.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]