Should I Even Bother - Application Profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I Even Bother - Application Profile

by mkb21 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:25 pm
I'm interested in attending a part-time MBA program to provide me with Business Management skills to assist me in developing a start-up with a friend. However, my undergraduate performance from was sub-par (2.01 GPA). I struggled as an undergraduate because I had a poor work ethic, endured brutal hazing at the military college I attended, and had a personal issue with a professor who taught over 36 credits of my coursework. I'm currently enrolled in an 18 credits of Computer Science courses at a local University and I'm performing well (no grades yet). I'm trying to determine if should I even bother taking the GMAT and attempting to gain admission into a B-School? If not, I'm going to focus my efforts on developing my business.

-Work Experience: Military Officer (Captain), 8 years of experience.
-Undergraduate Information: B.S. Computer Information Systems from Norwich University, GPA 2.01
-Currently enrolled in a Computer Science certificate program (18 credits) at St. Martin's University ends in December 2016.

Target Schools:
-University of Washington
-Seattle University

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 pm
Dear mkb21,

A few reflections for you to ponder on:
  1. The military profile is an instant eye-catcher for most adcoms because of the character that builds. The post-MBA plan though seems to not leverage that much. You will have to think deeper on the bridge here.
  2. The GPA is going to remain a handicap. But the good part is, you are already making amends. And you don't seem to be too aggressive in your target schools either. With that combination, it'll be definitely worth a shot.
  3. The timing is critical here though. You will have to see when the grades come in, what stage the startup is and what sort of recommendations you can gather. So play it right.
    • Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Mon May 02, 2016 3:27 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Your application should present your personal story while showing how you have grown and your motivations for the path you have taken and why an MBA would be a good idea at this point in your development.

Addressing GPA concerns, and showing how an MBA will help you reach realistic post-MBA goals and how the specific programs would help are all critical in boosting your chances.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!