Should I even aspire for ISB, Hyderabad and SP Jain Mumbai?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have way below average acads (88% in class 10th, 55% in class 12th, and 47% in B.A), 3 gap years (2 after class 12th and 1 after graduation).

I am 26 years old and I have 9 months of teaching experience under my belt. I am getting 750, 760 on my GMAT mock tests. Also, I am going to apply to Teach For India for its fellowship program. What are my chances of getting into ISB, Hyderabad or SP Jain, Mumbai with this profile?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:26 am
Hello

Top business schools are looking for achievers and having backs and low percentages will certainly diminish your chances. If you want really want to pursue an MBA from a top school, you will have to improve all the other aspects of your profile beginning with undergrad GPA. Your GPA is indeed on the lower side. Tell me more about your undergraduation. What was your major? To make up for your below average under graduation, you could go for higher education in your field or double bachelors if that is an option for you. If you perform well in the course work, you will improve your chances. Doing well in quant related courses is crucial. When you do apply to business schools you will have to give a genuine reason for your poor GPA.

Next, you will have to ace the GMAT. A 750 may also not be enough. Try to score around 780. A high GMAT score is a must for you. I will also suggest you take some certification courses - these can help in improving your profile (MOOC courses). These may not help much but you should do everything you can to improve your profile. What are your posts-MBA goals? If you are interested in entering the finance side of business, clearing a few levels of CFA certifications will also help.

During the gap years, were you working? Why was there a gap in your education? Was it due to an illness, or were you working for an NGO at this time? You will have to address the gap with convincing and genuine reasons for it when you are writing your essays.

ISB requires a minimum of two years of work experience. Let's hope you do get the TFI fellowship. Valuable work experience where you have displayed tremendous leadership potential is something that will make you a competitive candidate.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

You can go through this article to get an idea of how you can address the gaps in your profile https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/does-a ... ss-schools

With this profile, it will certainly be very difficult for you but it is not impossible.

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by alumni of Your Target B-School

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:51 am
A 750+ GMAT score and Teach For India experience should make applying for ISB worthwhile. I also answered in another thread that since Teach For India is part of Teach For All you might be eligible for application fee waivers at certain MBA schools (i.e. many schools waive application fees for Teach For America alumni).

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.