Should I apply this year or next?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I apply this year or next?

by zargo79 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:16 am
Hi Stacy

I'm debating whether I should apply this year in round 2 or wait off til next year to improve my GMAT. What do you suggest?

Education:
Top 20 liberal arts college, B.S. in Biology
3.45 GPA
Took GMAT a few times, 660 GMAT 5.5 AWA (88% Verbal, 68% Quant)

Career:
3 years in a large indian IT firm. I'm not indian but was one of the few Americans hired by this company out of college. Kind of a reverse outsourcing =)
2 years in an American consulting firm.
Started a small consulting firms with several partners half year ago. Still small and only one client but hoping it will grow. Not sure if I should even include this since its less than a year old.
Had supervisory experience. ie managed an offshore team while dealing with clients onsite but I don't have the official title of project manager.

Extracurricular:
Most of my volunteer work has been during college rather than during my career because of extensive traveling. During college, I started a tutoring program for somali refugees, organized multicollege film festival for asian american cinema, and was president of 3 clubs.

Post MBA Goal:
Work for multinational firm in Asia either India or China doing product development. Therefore I'm looking for programs with a diverse intnl student population, abroad programs and Intnl career placements.
My target schools are UNC, Duke, Yale, UCLA, and Haas.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:16 am
If you have already taken the GMAT a few times, maybe 660 is your max score? I would not want you to wait an additional year and then not have it improve. How confident are you that you can improve? Even if you can raise it, I don't know that I would wait a year. You already have five years of experience and are ready to apply. One thing that you could do is apply and then retake. If the score improves you can submit to your target schools for their considration. If you did wait a year, you should also address your lack of current extra-curriculars.
Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zargo79 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:50 pm
Thanks Stacy for the suggestion.

I've taken the GMAT 3 times. First time was 650, second time I cancelled, 3rd time was the 660. I usually score around 700 during practice runs but during the actual exam, i tense up on the quants and it ruins my timing.

I've already started some essays for my target schools and wasn't sure if I should juggle GMAT, work, and Apps in a 2 month window. I think I should put all my effort on my essays and apps and look past the GMAT but its definitly a weakness that has been bugging me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:26 pm
I agree that it sounds like you need to focus on other aspects of the app. While your GMAT is below average it is not a "deal breaker".
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me