Sentence Correction

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Sentence Correction

by Bartho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:31 pm
I just started to follow the 60-Day Study Guide and I have some difficulties.
Firstly, how to overcome critical reasoning when we should answer questions like: "which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?"

Secondly, concerning the sentence correction, I wish to know if we should also consider among the five ways of phrasing the underlined part, the first answer is part of the sentence correction when it is the repetition of the original.

Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 pm
Hi Bartho,

I'm not sure if your questions are really about the study plan or the GMAT content/patterns/tactics that you need to learn. If you have questions about the study plan, then you should post them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-60-day-g ... e-f60.html

When it comes to CR questions, there are a variety of tactics that you can use to get to the correct answer. Here are some things to remember though:
1) CR questions are always very carefully worded, so pay attention to the details.
2) CR questions are almost always based on a logical pattern of some kind (e.g.. causality - the idea that one thing causes another to happen).
3) Specific CR questions ask you to do specific things, but the work that you have to do (note-taking, linking ideas, etc.) is often similar from question to question.

In the example you noted, to "weaken" an argument, you have to understand the 'logic' behind the argument, then think about how you can ATTACK the logic (and then find an answer that matches/attacks the prompt).

For sentence corrections, a combination of grammar knowledge and pattern-recognition is usually required. Answer A is always a "copy" of what appears in the prompt and it tends to be the correct answer only about 20% of the time. So you have to look for clues in the NON-underlined portion of the sentence to help you figure out how the underlined portion should be written.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]