Sentence Correction

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Sentence Correction

by RiyaR » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41 am
Hey so I wanted to know about more material for sentence correction.......I have finished solving from the OG. Could you help me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:34 am
Hi RiyaR,

Are you looking for additional SC practice problems or a source to learn GMAT grammar (or both)?

Other than the OG13, what other resources have you been using to study? Have you taken any CATs?

If you're looking for random SC questions, then the Sentence Correction Forum is full of prompts along with explanations and insights from Experts and other Test Takers.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 pm
I'd recommend MGMAT SC and Veritas Prep SC. Both reliable, high-quality material, and they'll provide you with different ways of looking at SC.

For strategy, here's the approach I suggest:

Step 1 - Read Choice (A) and Identify One Grammar or Meaning Error

Since we know that a sentence with a grammatical error or an illogical meaning can NEVER be correct on the GMAT, try to identify and name ONE specific error you see. It may seem like there are several things "wrong" with the sentence, so choose the error you feel the most confident about, and write it down on your scratch paper. For example, maybe you think the meaning might be illogical, the sentence overall is awkwardly constructed, and there is an incorrect comparison. You might choose to go with the comparison error first.

What if there is no error in (A)? If (A) seems correct to you, or you cannot spot a grammar or meaning error, feel free to search for a style error. If you feel there is one, such as redundancy or passive voice, make a note of it next to letter "A" on your scratch pad, but DO NOT CROSS IT OFF YET. Remember, a style error doesn't make an option automatically incorrect. It only makes it less likely to be correct. Once you've done this, move on to (B) and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If (A) is correct, then (B) must contain an error.

Step 2 - Scan the Other Choices; Eliminate Error #1

Do any of the other 4 choices contain that same error? If so, quickly cross out

Step 3 - Move to the Next Available Choice; Look for Error #2

If you have more than one choice left, repeat the process. Move to the next choice remaining and look for an identifiable grammar or meaning error. If none exists, feel free to look for a style error and make a note of it next to the letter on your scratch pad. Once you've identified a grammar or meaning error, cross off the letter of that answer choice, and the letters of any other answer choices that contain the same error. Repeat as needed.

Step 4 - Stuck Between Two? Eliminate Based on Style

On a difficult Sentence Correction, you may find yourself narrowed down to two answer choices that both seem grammatically correct and both have logical meanings. Which one does the GMAT prefer? The answer: the clearest, most concise option. If one choice appears to have awkwardness or wordiness or passive voice, select the other option. All grammar being equal, the GMAT rewards clarity.

You can see this modeled here: https://gmatrockstar.com/tag/gmat-sentence-correction/
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by RiyaR » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm
Hey thanks! I was looking for more questions to practice so probably the random SC questions seems like a good idea..