Would appreciate a little help on the following questions:

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 12.08.28.png

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 am
New items developed for automobiles in the 1997 Model year included safer air bag, which, unlike previous air bags, eliminated the possibility that a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire.

A. inflated, and making
B. inflated, so that it could make
C. inflated and made
D. inflated and make
E. inflated to make
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A: a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making
Here, making lacks a preceding parallel form.
Eliminate A.

In B, it is not crystal clear whether it serves to refer to a burst of smoke or to the bag.
Eliminate B.

C: the bag inflated and made an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the implication is that the BAG made the passenger think the car was on fire.
The intended meaning is that A BURST OF SMOKE would make the passenger think the car was on fire.
Eliminate C.

Generally, an infinitive modifier serves to express the INTENT of the preceding subject.
E: the bag inflated to make an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the usage of to make implies that the bag INTENDED to make the passenger think the car was on fire -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by lucas211 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
New items developed for automobiles in the 1997 Model year included safer air bag, which, unlike previous air bags, eliminated the possibility that a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire.

A. inflated, and making
C. inflated and made
D. inflated and make
E. inflated to make
A conjunction such as and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A: a burst of smoke would appear when the bag inflated, and making
Here, making lacks a preceding parallel form.
Eliminate A.

In B, it is not crystal clear whether it serves to refer to a burst of smoke or to the bag.
Eliminate B.

C: the bag inflated and made an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the implication is that the BAG made the passenger think the car was on fire.
The intended meaning is that A BURST OF SMOKE would make the passenger think the car was on fire.
Eliminate C.

Generally, an infinitive modifier serves to express the INTENT of the preceding subject.
E: the bag inflated to make an already terrified passenger think the car was on fire
Here, the usage of to make implies that the bag INTENDED to make the passenger think the car was on fire -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi Mitch

Great insight you give me.
Thanks a lot!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:45 pm
lucas211 wrote:Hello BTG

Would appreciate a little help on the following questions:

A. inflated, and making
C. inflated and made
D. inflated and make
E. inflated to make

Thanks in advance
This problem can be solved by paying attention to parallelism.

would appear ... and ....
We need to make the thing after "would" to be parallel to "appear". Hence we need a present tense.
Hence we are left with options D and E

But option D changes the meaning. It seems that the air bag wants to make the passengers afraid.

Correct Option: D